Alan Woodwell

Viewport References

Why would you use one option over another in referencing another drawing into you current drawing?

Option 1 Create a new viewport with an external reference.

Option 2 Create a new reference from the Organization Palette.

Thanks 

See Attached

Option 1.JPG

Option 2.JPG

Convenience mostly?

Option 1 is useful when you haven't done option 2 before going to make the viewport.

Then again not sure why you would have done option 2 first if you want to make a viewport. Still would be odd if there was no new button in that interface and well legacy referencing needs the button.

Alan, my understanding of it is that the reference is automatically created when you create a viewport from an external file.  So you get to save a step, I think.

Have found that in the VP option you can double click and go to the Referenced file easily and turn off Classes in the VP. Option 2 harder to edit the VP and turn off Classes.

I only ask this question because others in the office have done it option 2 for ever and I now use the VP and don't find an issue but they seem to have less control over the Referenced file, so they asked Why use one over the other.