Views of Project Sheets

Hello - I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share screen shots (pdfs or images) of construction drawings they have done using VWs Landmark for site projects.  Reason I am asking is I would like to see what others are able to do with the program.  I have seen the marketing videos - and the construction drawings look pretty awesome.  We have done 2 projects using VWs and I think the construction plans we produced look terrible (compared to our AutoCAD plans).  I know that's just because we have lots to learn.  

I attached a screen shot of one of our Master Site Plans we did for a small Transportation Maintenance Building as an example of what we did produce.  

Thanks,

Master Site Plan.JPG

Ben,

How have things been. I'm not sure that I have "Site Plans" to share but I will look and check with my clients if they care if I post to a forum. Perhaps I'm too accustom to or don't have the same high bar as you do but what exactly do you find "terrible" about this drawing? Perhaps if I had more detail about what it is in this drawing that is terrible. Is it line weights, text masks, hatches?

Like I said I will see what I can release and post in kind or even send to you via drop box. It would appear you are using the keynote feature of the annotations. This is pretty advanced.

Hope things are going well otherwise.

Yes - I agree - looks pretty awesome!  And to sum up what I don't like about ours - is that its more about line weights, text standards, hatch patterns/scales.....over all looks of the plan/set as a whole.  I think our details look pretty good for the most part.  Still working on standards conversion from CAD to VWs.  

Thanks for the replies.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Ben,

If you go to Tools > Options > Line Thickness you can modify the line thicknesses to your liking. Much like AutoCAD where you can modify the CTB you can change these settings to your preferences. I have done this as I think the line weights are too thin as well. As for hatches I have modified or imported a ton from AutoCAD as well. One helpful hint here is that AutoCAD hatches will be in all sorts of crazy scales depending on the original setup as either one unit is one foot or inch, so be careful. And when all else fails try using tiles. What this all comes down to, and I know how it is as you are under pressure to deliver, you must keep updating your template and have discipline to use the template to start your drawings each time.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

I agree with Robert, it has taken us a long time to get our standards more dialed in. They are never complete but we have gotten better at creating templates and standard classes to keep things like lineweights, fills, and hatches consistent. We are always tweaking slightly for every project, but it has helped tremendously to have a consistent starting point.

Most of the signs are 2D work, but all done in Vectorworks.  There are sooooo many of those things. I created a master file back when we were working on that traffic project.  The axonometric sign detail is actually just lifted from the campus standard guide (PDF), so I can't take credit for that - I should probably get that modeled in VW, but who has the time to reinvent a perfectly workable wheel?

• 1 year later...

Stephen Shrader - Or others - Can you provide advice on how you're doing your details?

It looks like you've developed a good way for keeping text and hatches consistent.

Do you do your call-outs in model space or in paper space?
We're having a difficult time creating an efficient detail library, mostly because text exists in paper space, while everything else exists in paper space. Is there a way to easily copy a detail from a sheet set into a detail library file? 

Thank you for your help!