Vw Marketing Videos Don't Show Actual Vw Workflow

I just watched another of the Vw 2017 product announcement videos on the YouTube channel, this one on Plant Objects. I have to say that it would appear that not one single frame of the video was actually produced in Vectorworks and it does not give a true reflection of the product or workflow.

If I were a new user sucked in by the workflow shown in such videos, I would be a little disappointed. To be honest, the message that this sort of marketing sends is that Vectorworks is not sexy enough to sell itself.

• Like 2

A lot of things for VW 2017 are again misleading (C4D Material Import, Revit Import, ..)

I wouldn't have mentioned these "features", or even released at all at that stage.

I don't know why as VW 2017 release has again more than enough "real" new features.

I would be less irritated if it was presented in a way :

Hey, BTW we are working on a Revit Import now, you can try our first WIP build if you want.

At this stage it will only import the 3D Faces, no further intelligence.

Known issues are unrealistic long load times and your files size will unnecessarily explode.

So it is thought to bring the geometry of single Family Parts into VW, so far.

• Like 1

i still don't know what rvt import is good for (and facing the upcoming editable ifc design transfer view)? i'm not supposed to edit anything coming from my design consultants, so is it just to please architects' lust for moving things around in the 3d space, even not in their project's scope?

rob

Edited by gester
12 minutes ago, gester said:

i still don't know what rvt import is good for (and facing the upcoming editable ifc design transfer view)?

Everywhere where people are flexible working together, sharing and collaborating.

Like working with VW and your colleague works with Revit

(or anything else and even IFC may be the most promising exchange format)

You do a part of the building, she does another part. She does set the Windows Libraries,

you do the Doors and Wall Styles. You want to share the work and not do it again.

Or like I do Visualization. The office builds a BIM Model and construction plans in Revit.

I get the current model and will create different design versions. Once approved they will

flow back into the BIM model.

There is no dictation to touch any other consultants work in a BIM workflow,

but import export options and IFC can be used to work together more effective.

As for Rhino and VisualARQ 2.0 there is a Revit Exchange that brings in Families and things like

Walls will stay editable Walls on both sides. Same es Archicad IFC imports allows to keep edit

ability of Arch components, once Layers unlocked.

Currently, I get an early Revit BIM model as DWG (Meshes only) or an IFC if Revit workers available

(at least Solids) but most times that means still doing at least 80% of the Model again.

no, i'm collaborating without sharing the same model. and a design consultant's model is his responsibility, not mine, i'm not supposed to change anything in it, and the same in the opposite direction.

what you're proposing is the autodesk propaganda.

otoh, ifc is the right direction, both non-editable for delivery, and editable for design changes made in-house.

Edited by gester

i've just made a test import from my consultants' hvac design. everything (4135 objects) lands on one design layer, and in the none class. the initial rvt file size is slightly over 12 mb, the resulting import into a new vw file is over 650 mb. do you see any editing use for this?

rvt_import_1.png

rvt_import_2.png

I would have to agree with gester. The rvt import is way too cumbersome and I have already told my clients, who are Landscape Architects, not to get rvt files as they are useless. At least with the .ifc import you can control visibilities and the architects who send us the files can send us only the skin.

I agree the current implementation of importing Revit files is fairly useless, as not only are the files bloated 50x it is impossible to do any sort of 3D navigation.

Until the problems get worked out I think Revit Import would be much more usable if it worked more like IFC import and was non-editable. Maybe that would also minimize the file size bloat. It was another feature that I was excited about, but then I tried to use it. 

3 hours ago, gester said:

no, i'm collaborating without sharing the same model. and a design consultant's model is his responsibility, not mine, i'm not supposed to change anything in it, and the same in the opposite direction.

That is fine for you.

For me and maybe some others there is not only a need to collaborate beside each other

but to closely work together and share the same part of the job.

you're mixing up working for one design part in an office, and cooperating with other design branches.

each of the design branches has their own responsibilities and liabilities, let alone copy rights. there's no exchange of those issues between the branches.

otoh, if you mean only one branch, say, architecture, then the common model editing is a must. but then again, different software packages would be here counterproductive. 

rob

Edited by gester
3 hours ago, rDesign said:

I agree the current implementation of importing Revit files is fairly useless,

For me it is, one or other may profit from that early stage though.

Pity, as Revit Exchange would be quite useful and a productive feature.

No problem from my side if it is not ready now.

I had just not talked about that because the term Revit Import or VW reads Revit

produces little different imaginations than what is actually in VW and finally

some disappointment which isn't needed.

Beside these things, VW 2017 has so many good things in it that I will need quite some

time to explore and use all of them.

I think the conclusion is that some people might be happier with a little more realistic

announcements.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Our Revit import will continue to be limited to whatever the ODA's translation will allow for.

http://gfxspeak.com/2016/09/12/previews-independent-translation/

I am told that currently we use it to it's full extent but that as they upgrade it and add features we will include those upgrades to keep pace. I say "I am told" because this is second hand information, I do not know the internal workings of Revit import well at all. The limitations described above are why I have not yet deemed instructional material on the command ready for production.

7 minutes ago, JimW said:

Our Revit import will continue to be limited to whatever the ODA's translation will allow for.

http://gfxspeak.com/2016/09/12/previews-independent-translation/

but that as they upgrade it and add features we will include those upgrades to keep pace.

I forgot about ODA/Teigha, as I saw also other attempts that may have been gone a different way.

But I think we still have SP time for a year now that means feature freeze until next September.

So the current Revit Option is what we have for the coming year (?)

Then announcements promised too much for me, as we talking about observations about marketing.

If keeping pace means something similar like IFC4 "coming with SP1", it will be a bit different of course.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well SOMEwhat like these would be good. The tech team here really poured over these after they were released, the UI elements might seem great at first but sliders with no numerical values and no titles on the palettes would drive me insane.

The bits I DID like were semi opaque palette backgrounds, the new font, in-palette geometry manipulation, ripple-effect resource object list loading and even the slight scaling from 0 to full for newly appearing objects was very nice. Many of these offer no FUNCTIONAL benefit but would just be a nicer environment to work in, and I feel we are overdue for renovations.

There will be major UI changes in our future, that's a guaranteed item. But I would not guess it would be even in 2018. Rather than just reskinning the existing system, it would be more appropriate to rebuild the guts of the UI from scratch which is no small undertaking, but the wiser path to take.

• Like 1

Apropos Materials,

the Select Service Media Center currently seems to grow.

This is good as there is a lot valuable material.

But I start to loose overview, currently in the Tips and Tricks section.

Seems it is still somehow somehow sorted by creation time, but someone starts to fill "older (?)"

videos in between. Not all videos have visible VW Version notice that you could class them.

These are good anyway. But I have to start again each time from the oldest to see if there is any

"new" (for me) video.

Or do I forget everything and a video I have seen 3 Month ago will be again new for me ?

Nevertheless I wish to make these searchable, like :

"Show me all Videos about DTM and sort them by age"

"Show me all Videos about VW 2016 and sort them by content, include tips and tricks, webinars but not how too's"