POLYGONAL ARCHITECTURE HOW TO?

fxallaire

Hi, I'm a interior designer and want to achieve Polygonal Architectural walls in my current retail project. I have never used Vectorworks but I heard it would be the best software for the job.

apartment_in_moscow_by_m17_dezeen_1568_4

apartment_in_moscow_by_m17_dezeen_1568_6

apartment_in_moscow_by_m17_dezeen_1568_1

Apartment_Structure_in_3_D_Design_by_M17

Dashing_20_meter_Polygonal_Wall_Panel_fr

90_best_of_milan_design_week_2014_by_yat

I have sketches of what I want to achieve but now it's time to build and I would like to create a 3D concept and export 2D plans for the woodwork. 

Can someone point out to me where to start...

Thanks, FX

I did similar a while ago.

I think I started with a 2D rectangle,

made a lot of cuts in different angles for the resulting edges,

converted all to a Mesh,

rotated the Mesh from Floor Plan to Wall direction,

pulled vertices in and out until it looked like it should.

-> Thicken Tool

I think today (VW 2017) I would use Sub Division Tool,

convert my 2D Geometry to SubD and set Edge Weight 100% to all vertices.

13 hours ago, Christian Fekete said:

Interesting design, I am not sure how to do that in vectorworks. I personally would do it in Sketchup but maybe the new division option of VW would be fine.

Good luck

Why would you prefer Sketchup for this job exactly? To be honnest I never used sketchup either...

Which one should I commit to learn??

FX

It all comes down to what you are used to using. Sk....up I don't use much but can do amazing things with Vectorworks.

If you are after those shapes its easy to convert to mesh and get the triangles to build from.

Sk....up you could probably do the same.

Mesh.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture-0.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Actually, Vectorworks would be much easier to create these panels than Sketchup would IMO.  I use both and Vectorworks has better control and precision for this type work.  After all, modeling it is only a portion of the work - you have to describe how to build this, and that is where VW shines.

• 1 month later...

I think @Samuel Derenboimis correct.  I played around with the Sub-D and its cool, but even if you are creasing everything it gives you warped panels.  3D Polly is the way to go.  
EDIT - After looking at the little rendering again - those panels do not appear to be true flat triangulated panels.  The do seem to have some warp.  If you already know the bottom and top profile - than 3D poly still might be the way to go, but sub-D - actually would be able to recreate what you are showing pretty nicely.Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 3.46.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 3.46.14 PM.png

Edited by Tom Klaber

3D polygons are the way to go. As @Tom Klaber mentioned regarding the SubD tool, can also happen with 3D polys. I have had to fix more than one development approval that used 3D polys that turned out to be twisted panels. Twisted panels are tough to build. Make sure you don't introduce twisting into your panels by using triangulated 3D polys as checks before you add more vertices.

Convert them to a mesh, and then use the Shell Solid too to give them thickness. The great thing about Meshes are that you can push and pull individual vertices of the mesh. You can even move vertices using the 2D or 3D Move commands. Use 3D loci as snap points to maintain accuracy.

Also, think first about how you are going to build it. If you can have a chat to product suppliers, they will help you to not have to start over when any assumptions you make about constructibility are wrong. Learnt that the hard way :). Hope that helps.

I have been working on a few of these lately. They are a challenge to create, but the effect is awesome (wish I could show you some small touches to a facade that I am documenting at the moment – but I want to keep my job ;)!)

Edited by Diamond
Typos
  • 6 months later...
On 10/25/2016 at 7:12 AM, Markvl said:

The Subdivision tool is where I'd start.  Keep in mind that the subdivision tool is organic by nature but you can switch all edges and corners to hard lines and points.

does somebody know how to switch from organic to hard edges in subdivision modeling?