VW Colors

I am trying to match some colors from a photoshop file.  I am pulling the CMKY color values and imputing them directly into the color picker.  - But then when I check back - the sliders have changed?  Does VW limit the colors I can use?  When I input values directly - does VW then change it to the closest available color - or is this a bug - or am I doing something wrong?

I've always tried to match RGB values because I too don't think VW is CMYK or HSV compatible. That being said, I have even noticed that after I enter a precise RGB value, the result will often skew slightly in one of the ranges by a value or two. It's never enough for me to be concerned, but I wish VW had a better color management, picker system. It would be awesome to have a color picker as part of the tool set. One that could match from both inside VW or from other open applications.

The color picker is from the Op System. On the Mac you can use the color picker without any issues and use HSB. When using a Windows machine I use the RGB value from PS after using the color picker in PS which you can use outside of PS. To do this from PS just left-click and hold the mouse button down whilst you exit the PS window.

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 19.12.52.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 19.14.38.png

1 minute ago, zoomer said:

Yes, you can use it.

But if you re-open your color later you will see that it changed values.

So for me some pale Reds where saved as dark Browns in VW.

Colour shifts should theoretically not happen. @JimWDo you happen know why this colour shift may happen as described by Zoomer?

Hmmh,

I prefer to create my colors using HSV.

If I set I nice color that I like but get a totally different color at the end, it is quite useless.

I tried OS X colors again in Modo.

There is something wrong or color changing after using OS X HSV color chooser.

If I use the build in Modo color system, similar to C4D's, I can correct the color again by HSV values

and it will stay.

The problem here is that the OS X color shifts are quite large.

Like setting a saturation about 60% but OS X saves 90%,

same for color angle where I started with 33° which is a yellowish orange but get a 20° red

or value/brightness where I get about 30 instead of 60%.

You can see that if you switch back and forth between HSB and RGB.

Edited by zoomer

Hmmh,

I think I found a solution while watching your Color Picker Example Images,

when I realized for the first time that there is a Setting Wheel beside the Slider's dropdown.

If I choose sRGB option - for both, RGB and HSV - there is no more Color Shift between these.

On the other hand, setting a color by a slider mode and switch Color Space - it will change the sliders.

Unfortunately I don't find a suitable Color Space Sub Setting that would not switch the OS X color

when applied to the App. It looks totally different.

If I reopen the color again from the App with OS X picker I get totally different values.

I don't get it ....

Edited by zoomer

Well, my conclusion is it is an OS X thing.

And I don't think Apple is doing greenhorn bugs in such a feature that I think they see as important.

But it seems to complicated to use, which is not Apple either.

I don't had ever problems with this in my 3D Apps as the normally use their own, more capable color

pickers. Since I first really cared about colors in VW which means using HSV for me,

it is a problem as VW uses only OS X Color picker on OS X.

So I think I have to further try to find a correct and same Color Space that is used in my App.

And hope that all Apps use the same Color Space.

And hope that setting gets stored in Apple Color Picker which didn't look so at first sight.

On 23/10/2016 at 11:03 PM, barkest said:

Out of interest is the colour shift that important? I only ask because when we show the visualisation to the client we back it up with colour chips so they can see the colour 'as is' and also in different lights in the actual environment.

It depends, most of the time it is not very important but sometimes (fairly regularly actually) I need to use a colour scale showing different tints of a colour in an imported image, e.g. from dark yellow to orange to red or from light blue to dark blue to indicate values of something , e.g. height, depth etc. and then it is quite useful to be able to match the colours as closely as possible. Or I need to match RGB colours in a dwg file for the sake of consistency.

In that case colour shifts as @zoomerand @Tom Klaber were experiencing would be a real inconvenience.

Edited by Art V

Yes, to get matching colors you will often use e.g. one Hue/Color Angle and only change

Saturation or Brightness. Or use the same Saturation and make changes in Color or Brightness.

That works well in the HSB System but not in RGB.

Even if you have color fields printed and chosen some pleasing colors, you need to set these

values reliably.

For Visualizations, with physically based rendering it also works quite well with colors.

You will have shifts in color in that special environment but you will have that for all colors

like in reality so you can still compare. Or even provide different environments and the possibility

to examine color in "scale".

Doesn't mean that real physical material examples aren't important to also provide some haptic

feeling. Here, if things are important, there are often build 1:1 part models or mock ups.