Roof Face Question

jgmrussell

Question

Good morning,

I'm trying to make a gable roof with one side having a higher roof edge (see attached drawing). I figured out that it cannot be done with create roof option. I was told to use Roof Face. I'm not able to do so for some reason. I am drawing a rectangle sized to 1/2 of building below. I'm selecting that rectangle and hitting Roof face button. I'm filling in what info I need and clicking ok. All I get is the rectangle, nothing showing any roof detail. My question is, am I not using proper settings etc.? 

I'm a very light user of VW, mainly do interiors and I'm very competent at that, but this roof issue is killing me!

Thanks in advance.

John

16-10-17. Beth's Barn-1.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.30.18 AM.png

8 answers to this question

Three answers: first, with a Roof object, in Top/Plan View, you can click on the little 'handle' (near the bottom of each face) and change the pitch for that particular face; the roof will adjust (within given limits). Second, in order to Create Roof Face, follow the steps you have detailed, then after clicking out of the dialog, draw a line along the bearing edge of the face, then click once, then make the sure the little arrow (triangle actually) is pointing up, and click once more. (This one catches everyone. Once you get it you'll never forget it). Third, if you Ungroup a Roof you will end up with all of the individual Roof Faces. These are the same as Roof Faces that you might have created manually in their functionality.

Thank you so much, that was the answer! I'm now stumped on trying to Fit walls to Objects. I was able to do it on one side earlier, but now for some reason, I'm not able to do it. I'm selecting wall and then selecting the 2 roof faces, clicking on Fit walls to objects, but nothing happens. Any suggestions? thank you again for your help. I've attached 2 screen grabs fyi.

John

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 10.31.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 10.31.40 AM.png

Possibly you are fitting the wall to "floor-1" in your pdf, so the wall is stopping at the first object on that design layer which looks like your floor or is it the loft floor?. Place the roof on another design layer and select the wall only and fit to roof design layer.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thank you Alan and others here. I was able to finish the design with all your help and it has received approval for a permit, which was all I was asked to do. Now, if anybody needs help with a pole barn, I'm your man! Btw, I prefer designing and building interiors; www.russellwoodworks.com

Take care,

John