Port Scans

We have recently gone with Version 10 educational, Industrial collection and had someone upgrade to 10.5. (XP Pro/512MB/2.5GHz)

Almost instantly we were contacted by our Systems Admin people freaking out about port scans that were coming from the machine.

It seems to be coming from VectorWorks. It is problematic for our Systems people since it looks very much like someone trying probe our ports looking for backdoors.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Randy

If by ports, you mean the USB port - the dongle is constantly active in order for VW to remain in action. It could be caused by the dongle driver itself.

Did you have this problem in versions of the dongle program before VW 10.5?

No, not USB ports.

I mean Network Ports. Maybe IP ports. I think the Systems person said port 6000 or so.

Basically, as I understand it, the computer, when it goes to say, the internet, opens up a port, more of a virtual thing than a physical thing.

Previously, I know that VW used TCP/IP to scan networks to find licenses in a lab situation.

This has not been a problem previously, but it seems that something new is going on that is triggering the firewall alarms.

Randy

>port scans that were coming from the machine.

>It seems to be coming from VectorWorks.

After the recent virus/worm attacks we installed norton antivirus and firewall, and had the same experience: the firewall reports on all attempts to communicate in/out, and it sometimes reports VW attempting to send an "outbound UDP packet". Oddly, though I've been using VW(A) 10.1.2 the attempt to send is from VW 9.5.2, still installed. Tech support at NNA didn't have any answers so the communication from VW9.52 is "blocked" with no ill effects.

Trying to call home?

Carl

• 1 year later...

I am also seeing Architect 11.5 requesting server! access to the internet. This is very suspicous from a security perspective. Would someone from Nemetscheck please let us know why Vectorworks is trying to access the internet and, more importantly, trying to listen for external connections? Thankyou.

Ahhh..this may just explain why my connection has been flipping in and out with packet activity since the VW11.5 install.

I concur:

"Would someone from Nemetscheck please let us know why Vectorworks is trying to access the internet and, more importantly, trying to listen for external connections? Thankyou"