Issue with Angular Dimensions

Tom Klaber

Question

7 answers to this question

I just tried and it works ok here in a new drawing. Is this particular dimensions from a converted file or a drawing started in VW2017?

Are there any special conditions related to your angular dimensions, i.e. when in a clean drawing if you draw just two lines then do an angular dimension and then adjust one of the lines it just doesn't update properly or is it in just some cases/drawings (e.g. converted drawings, imported objects with dimensions.....)?

In each of your examples, one of the two dimensions isn't measuring quite what you think it's measuring. In the previous post, for example, looking at the 15° dimension, toward the top, there's a little line - the witness line. The angle of that little line is what the dimension object is actually measuring, and is presumably the angle at which the line you're measuring used to be.

Angular dimensions are tricky... if you change the angle between the two lines it's referring to, you can't just stretch the arrows to line up with your new lines... the measurement will be wrong. It's safest to delete the old dimension and re-create.

Here's a pic to help illustrate what's happening:

dims.png

Another way to look at this if if you compared the "arcs" of the two dimension objects you have, they would have different center points.

Hope this helps!

I did notice the deviating witness lines too, it could be that the association did not get picked correctly so that upon changing the line it will not update.

That being said, I tried with three lines, two of them connecting at the endpoint and then create an angular dimensions between one of these two and the non-connected line, then change one of the two connected lines to see if the angular dimension updates properly. It still works properly if you only move the end point of the line. If you move the start point of a line used for creating the angular dimensions then it will fail to update properly

Could it be that the geometry in your example has different directions so that the associativity is not as you might expect?

Ordinary lines or polygon/polyline object?

Does it make a difference if you reverse the selection order of lines when creating the angular dimension?

I tried this on a polyline and on 2 individual lines.  The lines - the angle didn't update.  but the polyline - the angle dimension did update.  

Not sure why direction of the polyline/line would impact a dimension.  I am with Tom on this one - I wonder what other dimension don't update properly now......

update:  I did try to move them around by selecting the starting point rather than the end point - and the angular dimension adjusted properly. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by benboggs
1 hour ago, benboggs said:

Not sure why direction of the polyline/line would impact a dimension.

It shouldn't impact a dimension, but I have noticed at times that depending on where you click the endpoints of the witness lines of a dimension may attach themselves in opposite directions.

Regarding the direction of the lines, in my case moving the starting point of a line did break the dimension updating. Moving the endpoint of the lines didn't. Though in this case the dimension witness line ends aligned with the start points of both lines.

If the direction of the lines is opposite and one of the legs of the dimension aligns with an endpoint that happens to be a start point of that line then it might break the updating when that line gets changed.

If the whole line is moved, then it still updates properly on my end.

Which is why I was asking the questions, as it seems to me that something might be going wrong with the associativity of the witness line endpoints.