Chamfer and Fillet - can't select edges

Tom Klaber

Question

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If it never actually DOES it that may be an unrelated problem. So far the graphical issues I've confirmed all were just "Doesnt show it" or "doesnt show it until zoomed/rebooted" but the change actually ended up happening. That zoom level is a smidge high but not out of the ordinary, if you copy that shape to a new document, scale it up 100x and try to fillet it does it behave differently? testing here now on a similar shape.

Oh nope, nope the edge selection with Fillet and Chamfer is behaving very oddly here too when I use it on curved polylines. You were right to add it here but I'm going to split it off into it's own thread I think It's unrelated to VGM since some of the other edge-grabbing tools seem to not have the same issue.

Are there nodes at a distance to that corner that is less than the fillet radius you are trying to apply? I can't see a message on your screen capture saying the radius is too large for that corner so am guessing this might be the case.

I haven't encountered a problem with fillets on curved polylines so far, unless there is a node point within the radius I want to apply with the fillet tool , or said differently in this case if the arc segment of the oval joining the straight line is shorter than the radius. Then it will fail. (Assuming the shape was a composition of two added surfaces)

Edited by Art V

No, even when I use values that should work fine it fails and gives no alert like you would expect if the radius was too large or small to be possible. I am not sure what exact conditions this is limited to (rectangles for instance worked fine) but I was able to stumble upon a condition that replicated the bug pretty quickly once it was pointed out.

5 hours ago, Art V said:

Are there nodes at a distance to that corner that is less than the fillet radius you are trying to apply? I can't see a message on your screen capture saying the radius is too large for that corner so am guessing this might be the case.

I haven't encountered a problem with fillets on curved polylines so far, unless there is a node point within the radius I want to apply with the fillet tool , or said differently in this case if the arc segment of the oval joining the straight line is shorter than the radius. Then it will fail. (Assuming the shape was a composition of two added surfaces)

Thanks - no that is not the issue. The workaround was to simply modify the polyline and add radial points and adjust.  

I experienced something like this myself today. Are there other objects underneath the one you're working on? In my case, there seemed to be a hierarchy issue which I think is related to the new master snap points. VW sees the first edge but not the second one because a snap point from another object is taking over. The chamfer/fillet selection should be smart enough to focus one object/surface.....

Kevin

7 hours ago, JimW said:

The bottom vertex here is what I noticed the behavior on first. When zoomed in very closely, the issue is more pronounced:

Fillet and chamfer not working.vwx

I managed to get the fillet work on that part of the vertex

A few things that may or may not be relevant:

1. in the top left part there is overlap and the polyline is not closed.

2. moving the overlapping part away a little so that the overlap is no longer there allowed me to fillet the corner right below, whereas it would not before.

3. closing the polyline made no difference before removing the overlap, and after removing the overlap the fillet worked on both the closed and not-closed polyline vertex as described under (2)

4. trying the fillet again on the bottom vertex then also worked after doing (2)

Edited by Art V