Lagging Graphics until pan/zoom

Tom Klaber

Question

My staff is reporting, and I have seen it myself - a lag in 2D graphical updating after certain operations - most noticeably after 'reshape.'  If you have a polygon - and you use the reshape tool - the polygon entity does seem to change - but it is still displayed as the unmodified polygon.  This is evident when you go to select the polygon - the old moved line will not allow selection - but the invisible new line will - and it will highlight the new shape.  

Nudging the object forces the redraw and corrects the graphic - but this is an issue. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

Changing the Graphical Performance mode did not fix the issue.  Are we thinking it is a graphics card problem?  Are there any iMacs on the market that can run VW17?

As an experiment - I am having my colleagues drop down there Performance setting - we will see how the day goes?

No, we are thinking bug related to specific models. In no case should things just vanish. 

VB-137015

18 minutes ago, JimW said:

No, we are thinking bug related to specific models. In no case should things just vanish. 

I'm going to quote you on that. Things vanish when using 2d objects in the 3d space of symbols all the time.

But in relation to this thread, I've had all sort of things vanish using VW2017 on all three compatibility settings. Its happened in files brought forward from VW2016 and from clean files started from scratch.

KM

I am coming more and more to screen redraw problems in VW17 Sp1

The longer i work in a document the more often objects disappear while zooming or changing the view orientation.

Happens with all 3 graphic compatibility modes in the settings. The screenrecording is done with "Best Compatibility"

The drawing is made 100% in VW17. Nothing from VW16 imported.

Quitting VW and restarting brings up everything to normal for a time.

See the attached screenrecording.

RedrawIssues_bka.mp4

Today after a fresh start of VW I had a lot of View Refresh Problems.

After editing one Extrude and selecting the next, always the first disappeared.

Sometimes switching between OpenGL and Wireframe or changing visibilities helped,

sometimes not.

I got no more Zebra Look - maybe because of Sp1 - or because I currently do no more

activate my DL Viewport 2D underlays.

I have Problems with the View Grid in Extrude Editing Mode, if these were rotated.

The Grid inside the virtual Extrude's Bounding Box is ok, the part of the Grid oustide is
shifted - but will adapt again for a moment when zooming in.

And I have problems to Paste In Place geometry from one Extrude to the other,

when these were rotated before. Also both had the same rotation.

@zoomeryou are using an ATI (AMD) video cart so it may not apply in your case but I am noticing a lot of video display issues lately with the latest nVidia drivers (slow refresh, lag in displays showing up completely) and even though I had this on a rare occasion in the past when Windows and/or software were maxing out RAM or processor, it has become quite a bit worse since the Windows 10 Anniversary update and VW2017 were installed. Are you noticing lags system wide as well on your Mac since VW2017 got installed?

I'm starting to wonder if VW2017 has installed something that is interfering with the display drivers communication, though it may very well be Windows 10 Anniversary update wreaking havoc with the display. It is just a bit inconvenient both W10AU and VW2017 got installed so shortly after each other that makes it hard to pinpoint whether it is one of the two or both playing a role in this.

Yes, I have ATI and Mac (and Sierra)

which means not much speed and low driver support in general.

But no problems in general or in 3D Apps like Cinema or older Modo.

In newest Modo, everything is much slower.

But that may be a mixture of AMD on Mac + full feature shaded viewport + QT user interface + ....

Hi , 

We are experiencing extreme lagg in 2D graphics rebuild of Polygon objects after editing and or moving with "Command M " - Move command . Polygon objects present as a ghost outline until zoom tool or zooming in or out , Very disconcerting as there is no way to know if command or edit is actually completed until zooming out and in from page . 

Problem has presented itself here only following 2017 SP1 install . 

Similar problem has now appeared with switching viewports to B/W only using Advanced Properties dialogue in viewport Object Info . Viewports remain graphically represented in full colour until zooming or out and window is rebuilt . 

Regards

David

2017 - SP1 VWA. 

MacPro6,1

6-Core Intel Xeon E5

3,5 GHz

Dual Apple 27 " Cinema Monitor

Not always but in case of many problems going down to one of the OpenGL Legacy Modes helps.

The lowest one is impractical for me as it looks like no GPU acceleration at all,

the middle Mode works quite ok.

This way my 3D Polys update again when editing. Did not check the Grid in Extrude Editing though.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:08 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

Same for me. Its definitely accentuated when editing in groups/symbols/solid histories/extrudes....

KM

Chiming in to note that redraw lapses occur here all the time throughout our engineering office when our VRAM gets maxed out (we're primarily 2D users, but we do often have more than one memory-hungry program open at once). The most-common redraw issues I/we run into are with 1) editing text and groups/symbols inside of symbols and 2) all contents of the main VW window refusing to draw when the machine is really pushed - although navigation, snapping, and selection all work.

My hardware below is pretty typical for our office at the moment. At our desktops, we're generally driving two mid-size monitors, with VW on one screen and something else running on the other...so yeah, we're probably a bit underspecced. Up-to-date video drivers seem to make a difference, although for some reason, updates only seem to solve the problem temporarily.