Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Script for dotted lines

rosebud5

Hello, forum gave me a great script that will change any lines that I have to a specific line weight.  the Script is below.  How would I change the script to make a dotted line rather than a solid line?

Thanks,

PROCEDURE LineWeightChange; 
{ (c) twk based off of original code by Petri Sakkinen 2008 }
CONST 
    newWeight = 20;
PROCEDURE ChangeIt (h : HANDLE);
    VAR
        oldLW : INTEGER;
    BEGIN 
        oldLW := GetLW(h);
        IF (oldLW = 2) OR (oldLW = 5) OR (oldLW = 10) OR (oldLW = 20) THEN
            SetLW(h, newWeight);
    END;

BEGIN
    FOREACHOBJECT(ChangeIt, ((SEL=TRUE)));
END; 

RUN(LineWeightChange);

• 1 month later...

SetLSN(FSActLayer,-Name2Index('Zig Zag'));

VW2017 uses LineTypes to define dashes (and other fancy things) in lines. So for your script to change the dash (or dotted), you will need to have a Line Type (created or existing) in the Resource Manager.

If you want to edit the line weight and assign a dotted line type in the same script just  put the following line right after the SetLW(h,NewWeight); line.

SetLSN(h,-Name2Index('Name of your LineType Goes Here');

You may also need to add a RedrawAll; after the ForEachObject line.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

what would be a simple script for changing the line weight and color of a line at the same time, for example, change to .25 line weight and red from an existing .05 and black line. 

Thanks

Hi Pat, just posted that, also I am using 2018 version. 

thanks for the help

For a single object or for all selected objects? The commands are the same, but the wrapper needs to be different.

Do you need it to check the existing and then change only objects that have a specific setting? Or just set for selected objects?

If you like the script above, then the basic commands you need are:

SetLW(Handle, LineWeightInMils);

For the color, you would use 

SetPenFore(Handle, R,G,B);

So you will need to get the RGB value you want. If you have it in a palette, you could use ColorIndexToRGB to get this.

So just about like the above script, but with a little math to calculate mils and RGB.

If you need more details, please ask again.

Hi Pat, thanks for the quick reply, I did the following

PROCEDURE LineWeightChange; { (c) twk based off of original code by Petri Sakkinen 2008 } CONST     newWeight = 5; PROCEDURE ChangeIt (h : HANDLE);     VAR         oldLW : INTEGER;     BEGIN         oldLW := GetLW(h);         IF (oldLW = 2) OR (oldLW = 5) OR (oldLW = 7) OR (oldLW = 10) OR (oldLW = 14) OR          (oldLW = 20) THEN             SetLW(h, newWeight); SetPenFore(Handle, 221,0,0);     END; BEGIN     FOREACHOBJECT(ChangeIt, ((SEL=TRUE))); END; RUN(LineWeightChange);

Getting an error, any thoughts

just trying to change for selected object(s)

First, if you are pasting code into the forum, try and use a code block. Click the <> button in the formatting bar of the post and then paste into that block. It will keep the formatting better.

Try this:

CONST     newWeight = 5; 

VAR         oldLW : INTEGER;     

BEGIN         oldLW := GetLW(h);         
IF (oldLW = 2) OR (oldLW = 5) OR (oldLW = 7) OR (oldLW = 10) OR (oldLW = 14) OR (oldLW = 20) THEN             
	Begin
		SetLW(h, newWeight); 
		SetPenFore(h, 221,0,0);     
	End;
END; 

BEGIN     
END; 

RUN(LineWeightChange);

When I wrote Handle, I meant to use a handle to the object. A handle is an identifier for the program to use to find a specific object. In the case your (Petri's) script, the variable that is being used to hold the handle is h.

Second, when you want to do more thing as the result of and IF/THEN or REPEAT or UNTIL conditional, you have to put all of the multiple statements between a Begin/End pair.

HTH.

The way the script is written, it will only work on lines weight of EXACTLY 2, 5, 7, 10, 20 mils. If you normally work in something other than mils or other line weights, then that part of the script will need to be modified. 

I just copied and pasted the script from above into a VW Script and ran it on a rectangle 20 mil with a blue pen color and a Circle 10 mil with a red pen color. Both ended up being 5 mil with a dark grey/black pen color.

Or did you want to fill color to change? Since we were talking about lines, I assumed it was just the pen color.

Hi Pat, I am guessing that it should not matter, but the script works going from another color back to black when I use it as you did above, but I cant go the other way.  I am trying to go from black to red or some other color.  if you run the script on a black rectangle/line, will it change to the specified color (red, 221,0,0)

Your RGB values are not right.  Each of R G B should be in the range of 0 to 65535.  121 is really small, so the very small trace of red is not noticeable.

Try using 65535, 0, 0 in the SetPenFore and you should get a real red.

The following script will give you the RGB values for the first selected objects PenFore. Select an object with the color you want and run the script the three values will show up in the dialog box as the X, Y, and Z fields. Using the existing 3Pt dialog box was a quick and dirty hack to get an easy display.

Procedure Test;

Var R1,G1,B1:Real;

Begin
	GetPenFore(FSActLayer,R1,G1,B1);
	PtDialog3D('RGB Is', Concat(R1), Concat(G1),Concat(B1),R1,G1,B1);
End;

Run(Test);

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat, script is working great! What about if I wanted to add a fill to the script with a specific color, for example rectangle with same red fill and black outline. 

<

CONST     newWeight = 5; 

VAR         oldLW : INTEGER;     

BEGIN         oldLW := GetLW(h);         
IF (oldLW = 2) OR (oldLW = 5) OR (oldLW = 7) OR (oldLW = 10) OR (oldLW = 14) OR (oldLW = 20) THEN             
    Begin
        SetLW(h, newWeight); 
        SetPenFore(h, 65535,0,0);     
    End;
END; 

BEGIN     
END; 

RUN(LineWeightChange);