Wall Corner Joining Priorities

Asemblance

Hi all,

I've been learning to use the wall tools with various buildups/joint types, and generally have found it pretty straightforwards. However I've hit one internal corner I can't seem to get to work. It is between two wall types I have created, one where the 'core' layer is concrete, and one with a 'core' layer of cross laminated timber. When I try to create a corner joint, seemingly however I approach it, the concrete retaining wall runs into the external face of the CLT and stops. However we want this to be the other way around - CLT running into concrete and stopping.

I've recorded a quick video showing my attempts - link below:

I've also attached a screenshot showing a bodge job of what I'd like the connection to look like. Can anyone offer any help??

Thanks!

Anthony

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 18.35.31.jpg

Guest Wes Gardner

You should be able to get that to join either way.  Try using the Component Join Tool in Capped Join Mode (the third option).  I don't have as many components as your wall style does, but I can switch the blue/stripped component from "running through" to "stopping on" the honeycomb component.

I did take me a couple of tries to get it joined up...

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.37.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.38.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.38.43 PM.png

Edited by Wes Gardner

Wes -

Thanks! You're right after a bit of perseverance I have managed to get the concrete to carry through as intended using the component join tool.

However I would still like to know how vwx decides which wall type component to prioritise - Why has it decided that (in my case) the CLT is the higher priority? Is it based on class hierarchy perhaps? Or some internal list of materials vwx keeps? There must be some system in place for the software to make this decision (Sort of like viewing order, i guess).

Guest Wes Gardner

Regarding component priorities, there really is no system for assigning priorities to components.  Vectorworks likes to have objects drawn in a clockwise manner (or from left to right).  As far as component joining, the first component that's chosen will have priority over the one it's being joined to.

To help joins look correct, you can choose to "Always auto-join in capped join mode".  This can be useful for materials that just don't look correct when mitered.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 9.36.48 AM.png