Resource Manager should be able to access old files

It would be great if the Resource Manager could access resources from files saved from previous versions (I'm thinking particularly when using the "Browse a Document" function). I'm aways pulling resources from previous files and I think this it's one of the selling points of the Resource Manager. But it could definitely be improved.

Here's what I find happening currently:

1. Go the RM and choose Browse a Document.
  2. Navigate a few minutes in the pop-up Finder to locate that old project file you know has the perfect texture. Select the file.
  3. Get the error message "The file is not in the application version that you are running, so the file cannot be used."
  4. Open Finder. Repeat step 2.
  5. Open the file directly; Vectorworks converts to current version.
  6. Switch back to my current file then point the RM to the file I just opened.
  7. Pull resources.
  8. Go back to other file and close it.

It would be great if steps 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 were eliminated. Since Vectorworks has the ability to seamlessly open files from older versions, I'd think it should be possible to incorporate this functionality into using the Resource Manager as well. (It would be fine if it took a few seconds to convert the file before being able to browse; that's still much better than having to do the steps above).

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3

Yeah, that might be a good workaround for some people, thank you.

But I have hundreds of old project files, all of which are very large and across many folders, and I don't necessarily want them as "Favorites". It'd be nice to access them quickly on an as-needed basis without worrying about what version they were created in.

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

But I have hundreds of old project files, all of which are very large and across many folders, and I don't necessarily want them as "Favorites". It'd be nice to access them quickly on an as-needed basis without worrying about what version they were created in.

This is more or less the same for me, as occasionally I need to use some item from an old project on an as-needed basis, there is no way to predict when I might need what old file and converting them all for every release is just not an option. Creating a separate library file for one-time use symbols is not really useful either.

This request should not just apply to the resource browser though, it should also work for importing objects/classes/layers from old(er) files without having to convert those files to the current release.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree!!!  We had some files/resources set up under 2016 (title blocks and a few other files) and when we upgraded to 2017 we had to open the title blocks up do a save as then close them.  I can't imagine doing this to every single resource we create every year a new VWs upgrade come out.......It would be one of those tedious things that would probably keep me from upgrading to new version every year.  Maybe do an every other year upgrade.  We are starting to compile/create lots of custom things.  We have custom sports field base files, details etc - and I really don't want to have to open up those files and do a save as every year.....    I VOTED THIS UP!

• Like 1

I have set up file that I use for collecting symbols, textures and other resources and add it to my favorites list (I refer to it as my symbol dump). I use it to collect resources I create in other files throughout the year so I don't have to go looking through which file the resource is in that I'm looking for. When a new version of Vectorworks comes out, I just update that one file to the new version. 

I would still like to see the resource manager separate the resources in the list by category (IE: symbols, textures, line types etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Because of how our file format system works, this won't be possible until we can adopt a single versionless VWX format that does not need to be converted from version to version. However, once we do that (which we plan to do) this request will automatically be included in the Resource Manager's capabilities as of that version. 

Doesn't mean it isn't a good wishlist item, it is and I agree with it, just that it will almost assuredly happen whether it is a wish or not because of other planned updates. 

• Like 2

Thanks Jim! I suppose what I don't understand is since you can already "Open" an old file in Vectorworks and it'll automatically convert it to a 2017 file, then why can't the Resource Browser do the same thing? It should recognize it's an older file, take a few moments to convert it, and let you pull things from the temporarily converted file (almost as if you opened it manually). It seems like the technology is already there, it's just a matter of making the Resource Browser utilize it as well. Of course I'm no programmer or engineer so I'm sure there are more technicalities, but it doesn't seem impossible given the current state of things. Or perhaps you're suggesting they don't want to put time into it, knowing that a versionless system is on the way? ;) (Glad to hear by the way!)

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Or perhaps you're suggesting they don't want to put time into it, knowing that a versionless system is on the way?

Proooobably this. I do not know this for sure (I'm not just being secretive or anything) but that would be my best guess as well.

What about an online service like cloud rendering ?

You upload a file and VW servers do that whole VW11 > VW 2008 > VW 2015 > VW 2017 thing.

Maybe in 5 years we got rid of the Floor and old Column Tool and use Structural Members and Slabs

only. Why include that old legacy stuff and complicate the current version with it.

But universal data file format always welcome.

Edited by zoomer