Anybody there?

Hello,

I have recently posted two posts... both of them I was afterwards thinking that I remember someone, maybe Tom U. state that they were going to leave the CNC translation to the, Mastercam people so maybe I am a little off base with my inquires but it is a real need in the sheet metal business on the other side of drawing a shop print for the production floor and I wanted to know all that NNA has to say about it. The software is really a great set of tools and is still and will be for a long time beyond my skill level yet I have not seen hardly anything surface regarding the Mechanical stand point of use since I upgraded from VW 9.0.1 to Mechanical 9.5.3 and there seems not to be too many others really asking too many questions. However I have also requested information and offered assistance in the sence that I work as a Press Brake Operator everyday and have been for closing in on a good 20 years and am trying to train myself to work with drawings and learn the proper software in which to produce and work with sheet metal but get very little attention. I have read other posts that are valid topics and they seem to go un-answered. One of the reasons that I have sort of held back from the version 10 upgrade is mainly due to the fact that I am still learning with what I have but have not gotten very far into the current version that I have before another upgrade has come along... That's all cool and stuff but I was thinking that I was utilizing the most current version in which to learn with to use... the other reason that I have held back a step is because the cost of the upgrade compared to the lack of additional functionality added and purpose of it as well as good support for the Mechanical version leaves me thinking that it might not be as worth it as it seems. "NOT really knocking the software at all... I like it a lot." But aspects of the precision sheet metal trade require as much detail and attention as would for those that build the buildings with VW. Developing is another story so I know that talking like per'se I am is one thing, developing the tools to perform what I am talking about is completely another much less having to know the software better than the users that buy and use it. I personally am an individual that has taken the initiative to go to an expense to obtain what I feel is the best all-around software tools that I can obtain for my PowerMacs in order to continue onward with ongoing education and self learning and betterment. Please don't make me think and feel that I have been a fool for doing so and respond to the questions that I have placed in this forum so that myself, others and yourself can benefit from its discussion. Please take this correctly in that I mean no offence but am becoming a little irritated for the first time thinking that even though the VW crew that is developing the software is a somewhat small crew... I know that you guys know what you are doing so I expect a little bit more than what I have gotten... Prove me wrong and enlighten us, that would be all kinds of cool. Anything new coming up in the Mechanical version in particular?

Jerry [Cool]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Jerry.

Yes, there is someone out there listening! Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

I still have the information you sent to me regarding sheet metal manufacturing and, unfortunately, none of this was included in Mechanical 10. I agree that aspects of the precision sheet metal trade require as much detail and attention as would for those that build the buildings and this will certainly be kept in mind for a future release. One problem with Mechanical is that there are many, many different fields each with it's own set of unique features and Mechanical is trying to provide basic tools that can be used by most. I will keep you posted as to what sheet metal features we are planning for Mechanical 11 as much as I can without revealing anything proprietary.

You may or may not already know, but the main new features for Mechanical 10 are a new 3D Properties command that gives you volume, surface area, and other mass properties of 3D solids along with a host of new 3D objects. Other new features can be found on the Mechanical Web site at http://www.nemetschek.net/products/newfeatures/mechanical.html

As always, you can try Mechanical 10 for yourself with no obligation since we offer a 90 day money back guarantee.

Thanks for your postings and I hope as time goes on we will hear from others in the sheet metal trade such as yourself. Being an optimist, I would like to think that the reason there aren't more postings to the Mechanical bulletin board is because everyone is happy with the program and not encountering too may problems.

Tom Urie

I really would like to upgrade to version 10 but feel that my experience with the software has to progress a little more before I think that it is a productive expense for me to do just yet. My problem that I have is that I am a self learned computer artist and have many applications that I am learning to utilize and so by the time I even get close to developing a good working understanding of all the tools another upgrade comes along before I even produce anything more than beginner level doodles. At my web site I have a number of examples of what it is that I am testing out as learning exersizes. Coloredpencilguy's Art Gallery I have a "LOT" more in work on both my G3 and G4 and will be posting updates but the site is approaching a revamp again due to I have to develop a good somewhat professional presentation of what it is that I am into and available for. As far as Mechanical is concerned, I have conducted tests with one of the engineers at work to find file exchange compatabilities and all of that went really well, however I am a Brake Press Operator and not an engineer at the moment so my influence with VectorWorks is a limited thing due to the simple fact that AutoCad and SolidWorks are the major players overall in that business along with the Mastercam areas of translating drawings to machine code for output to the Amada Pega's or Milling and Lathing machines is a separate application so applying Mechanical in a purposful way so far is a "personal" endevour from my own stand point. I was looking at an application called, "Cobalt" which like VectorWorks is a cross platform cam Cad software with 2d and 3d and NURBS capabilities software but an additional 2 or 3 thousand dollars investment on a prospective basis ideal that, that is something that I want to progress towards occupationally wouldn't really be a good move simply due to the fact that I think a PowerMac can produce a better product as an end result and requires way, way less technichal attention machine and software wise. But all-in-all my real goal is to only play a part in the design and presentation aspects of a company that utilizes VectorWorks or VW Mechanical as an ultimate goal really. What I am really trying to do is gain a working knowlege of this type of CAD Design software and thereby become a possible valuable asset for a design company that needs people that not only know the CAD software that they use to design with but can also produce the artwork required to present the final product to the client. That way there are a possibility if working for multiple companies in a virtual manner and from one location.... my studio. As far as the software itself is concerned it "is" everything and then some of what I need or expect, it "meaning you guys" have "NOT" failed and I am looking forward to many, many years of working with this software to produce a lot of what I am doing in concert with all my Adobe and other 3d tools. Thank you for your patience with me as I continue to learn at my own pace in my own way.

Jerry [Roll Eyes]