Rishie

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello RJR,

Are you sure you placed the file in the correct location?

I created a new post symbol in a VW file and placed it in the following location and it shows up in the Railing/Fence Settings:

/Users/<YourUserName>/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2017/Libraries/Defaults/Railing Fence/Post Symbols.vwx

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

RJR,

You'll need to create a new Vectorworks file in your Vectorworks user folder. Alternatively, you could copy the desired "Symbol Posts" file from the Vectorworks application folder to the same location in the user folder. You can then add and delete posts symbols from the file in your user folder as you wish.

• Like 1

Thank you Matt i failed to create a 2D symbol for it so its not visible, now its perfect.

But i cannot give different texture for post like in leaf for doors, as railing post is assigned to a class only one texture for the entire post is possible is there any way to give some additional texture for it???? 

Edited by RJR

@RJR

But i cannot give different texture for post like in leaf for doors, as railing post is assigned to a class only one texture for the entire post is possible is there any way to give some additional texture for it????

You certainly can.  What is happening is all the parts of your column are set to use the texture by class.  -SEE FIRST PIC-  As an example, lets say you have a metal post with plastic cap at the top of it.  We don't want the plastic cap to have a metal textured finish, we want it to have a uniform colour like a soft pink  (chosen for a distinct change in material) or something.  You need to edit the column in 3D and upon selecting the modelled cap itself go to the Render tab in the OIP and change the texture selection to NONE or TEXTURE.  TEXTURE allows you to choose any texture you want from your file or libraries.  This can apply to all symbols you will make whether used for a built in tool or your own objects.

ScreenHunter_161 Oct. 21 07.57.jpg

ScreenHunter_162 Oct. 21 07.59.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I'm having problems with this too.

Made my custom fencepost symbols, put them in a file called fencepost symbols.vwx

Put that file in (I think?) the right place (see screenshot)

But none of those symbols are offered to me when I try and choose "custom symbol" under "post" in the railing/fence settings.

I've tried restarting vectorworks, restarting the machine.

Am I missing something?

1779330516_ScreenShot2020-10-13at20_03_32.thumb.jpg.5533f95ab43bbec6d8337625cfeb06e3.jpg

I've now tried it in VW2017 and VW 2019 (as well as VW2018 which is what I'm working in at the moment).

It doesn't work in 2017 or 2018, but it does work in 2019.

In 2019 I can create a custom post (as a symbol) and then use this to create a fence and then I can save that fence style as a symbol (why not a "style", vectorworks programmers? very confusing)

If I then export that as a 2018 file, I can open it in 2018 and at first sight it's OK, however when I then go to edit the fence symbol and see what custom post is being used, it only offers me the fence symbol, not the post symbol. Then it all goes horribly wrong as it tries to build a fence made of itself.

As the screenshots above appear to be PC rather than mac, is it that this is simply broken in the mac versions of VW2017 and 18?