Feature in Wall

I need a bit of help here as I am confused about the Feature in Wall object. I got to this via trying to texture a feature in a wall which ended up being a total mess. In this post I am looking at wall projections only and not wall recesses

I can create a feature in 1 of 2 ways:

1. A 2D shape touching the wall then select wall and shape and right-click and add surface. There are other ways but this is easier.

2. A 3D extruded shape touching the wall then select wall and object and AEC > Create Wall Projection.

in both cases the features are Walls and not objects (objects btw are totally broken since 2012 at least).

In both cases I end up with a Feature in Wall object but with very different parametrics (see attached).

I tried in the help but mine is broken as it won't list the topic (need to look at this further)

So after all that if I create from a 2D shape I get the options 'left side wrap and right side wrap'. Both have none as the dropdown so does anyone know what these do?

2d object.pngthank you 

3d object.png

Edited by barkest
change
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

On 10/17/2016 at 8:44 AM, barkest said:

So after all that if I create from a 2D shape I get the options 'left side wrap and right side wrap'. Both have none as the dropdown so does anyone know what these do?

These are wall component wrap controls. It sounds like your wall has no components so the popups only display "none". The popups allow control over how the components wrap (or don't wrap) around the wall feature.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is because a 2D object is always extruded vertically so the wall feature object can make decisions on how cavities can wrap around it. A 3D object could have much more complex geometry so the wall feature will only assign the geometry to one cavity with no component wrapping.