Jump to content

Pole barn/Horse barn

Recommended Posts


Having had some experience with pole sheds as we call them, I would suggest seeing if the codes you are required to use have a special section on this type of construction.

It could be under farms buildings or something similar.  But as @rDesign mentioned you may have to have a structural engineer involved.  Long spans and increased loads will push the

design outside of typical code specifications and require the use of an engineer.  You will need to determine the type of loads you need to support, how you are going to connect the structure together, what kind of foundation to start from, etc.

Link to comment

contact me, as i have done numerous pole barn, horse barn, timber frame and bent designs, biggest factor is determining weight of structure vs lift, per your wind zone. Footing design will allow you to resolve lift issue if present. andesign@embarqmail.com, i can send you some designs which may help you with your design work. you are also correct in that a structural engineer may not be needed, if dealing with a competent inspector.. regards David N

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...