Rishie

Hi guys

I have been inspired of the Vectorworks slab components but i have few doubts regarding that let me list my queries

I attached image of my project

1)How to connect the components for my wall and slab?

2)What is datum in slab and its top and bottom component?

3)When i am exporting my project as image file although i am using high resolution and quality to very high, the line weight and the pattern which i used is not visible.

Below i attached two image the first one is the exported image and the next is screenshot there is lot of difference between both

Untitled1.jpgUntitled.jpg

when you create a wall, you can create components. One of those components can be the wall core. When you create a slab, you can choose how the slab components connect the the wall components. you can choose the inner face of the wall, the outer face of the inner component, and so on. If you have not edited a wall or slab style, you will not have seen these settings, so you need to edit your styles and think about how you want them to join. When you edit the slab style you will see that you can choose which component is is the datum and if the datum is the top or bottom of the component

Thank you jonathan for your reply

But jonathan is there any function to join the component between the slab and wall

If i use plaster for wall and slab how to use component join and join them both?????

And why my exported image file is not showing the patterns and line weight i have used accurately and clearly???

Edited by RJR

Hi @RJR,

As to your last query on the line weights, I think what is going on there is this.  In your VW preferences there is an option under the "Display" Tab called "Zoom Line Thickness".  If this is checked off you can see all the detail that goes on in the components of your walls, slabs and roof styles.  If it is checked or on you would see the line weights that have been assigned to each component Class or style Class.  So in your first image it looks like you've got a heavy line weight for the outer components of your wall.  When your exporting or printing directly these line weights will always show up as expected as part of your general presentation.  I would suggest that you check the line weights you are using in your Classes and adjust them accordingly.  For closeups like section work or details you can override your set line weights using the viewport overrides.  I could get into a lot about lineweights and how to use them, but I think if you start with my suggestions above you'll get a good idea of what is going on.

Hope this helps.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Thank you markul for you reply 

But zoom line thickness had not checked in vectorworks preferences display tag and more over if you check in my screen shot (Second image i had attached),

The plaster thickness and line weight is same for slab and wall but while exporting its totally different

Edited by RJR
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello RJR,

I think what Markvl is saying is that you don't see the thick lines in Vectorworks because you don't have Zoom Line Thickness turned on. This setting only effects the screen display to give a more accurate preview of how it would print/export.  Exporting always uses the line thickness.

Try turning Zoom Line Thickness on and see if the lines in Vectorworks looks more like the export. If so, this will confirm that you need to adjust your line thicknesses in your wall and slab styles.

• Like 1

I assume you're talking about joining a slab component to a wall component in order to have (for example) wall board run down to and under the bottom of a slab with no seam? This cannot be done without adding a "patch" in the viewport annotations.

I see. I'm guessing you cannot use one continuous slab. This would also require a patch in the annotations. Probably the easiest way to patch this is by using a line thick enough to cover the line between them and set the color of the line to match the gray fill of the concrete hatch. While this will also create a small break in the lines within the hatch, it shouldn't be too noticeable.

I realize that this is not an ideal solution and these are situations we'd like to improve upon.

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 8.00.53 AM.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...