Renderworks producing poor quality renders

Bazza!

Question

Recently updated to version 2017 (not used this version much) but recently used it on a new mac with more ram etc than the previous kit. Also today updated to the latest service pack

As well as my previous question about the missing progress bar, when producing a render with custom renderworks settings as used in version 2016 on the same file the quality of the final render is very poor almost like a gritty finish to reflective surfaces and poor in detail - almost as if it was set up as a fast rendered image or low quality GL render.

Final high quality render is much better but does not render reflective surfaces properly

I use this as a comparison to version 2016 -  so same file, same render settings etc etc and as a like for like the 2016 rendered version is much better.

I am running El Capitan on the new mac and wondered if Vectorworks was incompatible with the operating system. Renders seem quicker, but quality is poor. As anyone had similar experience - plus I can't seem to quit the render without forcing Vectorworks itself to quit (not ideal).

3 answers to this question

It's unfortunate that we'll have to manually tweak all of our RW Textures just so they render in 2017 as they did in 2016. It took a lot of trial-and-error to get them looking correct in the first place, and now it's going to take even more unnecessary work.

@Dave Donley- I think that this was an oversight by Vectorworks. There should be a script or tool provided where you can select a 2017 RW Texture and have it automatically modify the shader settings so it generally 'appears' how it looked in 2016.