Spotlight Instrument no longer rotates correctly about the Y axis

markdd

Question

When I updated to SP 1,  I was hoping to see that the Y axis of the 3D rotate function of the Spotlight Instrument had been fixed to allow a fixture to hang on its side. At the moment, the Y rotate angle actually rotates the component parts of the symbol about the Z axis which serves the purpose of rotating only the base once an instrument is focussed. 

Please will you restore it's original functionality which worked so well and was logical. It's current state is illogical and means that firstly, my old drawings do not read correctly in the newest version of the software, secondly,  some of the uses of Vectorworks are now not achievable and lastly,  for other tasks it requires a laborious workaround to fix. Could I suggest that you put back the Y functionality and add a Z functionality to do what you have inadvertently done to the Y axis.

It would be good to hear from a Spotlight engineer to know why this was changed and when a fix is due. There have been so many welcome advances with the software in recent years but this seems to be such a retrograde step.   @JimW could you help to pass this on for a response.

Many thanks

Mark

2 answers to this question

Rob

I am hanging the lights normally! But I would like to be able to rotate the 3d portion of the symbol around the Y axis Try using the 3d rotate check box and give the Y axis an angle, say 90 degrees. You will notice that the instrument rotates around the Z axis. This is a change from all the other versions of the software and is illogical.

I hope you can see that I am not mad!!

Mark

Mark -

You're not mad.  I found the same thing a while ago and, when I questioned it (thinking it was a bug, as-well), I was told that this change is intentional.  If I remember correctly, it has something to do with a) rectifying a long-standing error and b) aligning multiple orientation conventions for Vision model prep.  (I'm sorry. I can't find the e-mail thread.)