Converting 3D object to lines results in 3D lines

In VW 2016, when I do "Convert to Lines" on a 3D object (to get a 2D plan view for a hybrid symbol, for example) the resulting group of lines is a 3D entity instead of a 2D entity. I've been using "Convert Copy to Lines" since MiniCAD 5 and it has never behaved like this before. It says it is a group of "lines" in the info palette, but clearly that is wrong. If I go to a 3D view the group of alleged lines appears as a dimensionless plane. Is this a bug? If it is supposed to be a "feature" is there a way to permanently eliminate it from happening, such as changing a default in Preferences?

Thanks,

MHBrown

Thanks, P Retondo, that does fix it. The base problem, however, is that the preference "screen plane only" does not stay set. It will change randomly. Usually I notice when I'm trying to draw a rectangle and it disappears as soon as I draw it. Sure enough, my Preferences has changed from "screen plane only" to one of the other two. I think this is a known bug that I hope is squashed in VW2017. Although I work exclusively in 3D, I have minimal use for the other two preferences and would "prefer" that there were a way I could delete the option or at least keep "screen plane only" from switching off. Thanks for your help! I just have to pay attention to the OIP from now on and convert as I go.

MBBrown

The ability to create hybrid objects is one of the great things about VectorWorks. I wish it worked in other views besides Plan, but I'll explain how it works in that view. Three-D geometry is very messy in wireframe, but wireframe is and always will be the quickest way to work in a CAD file. Since VW was developed for architects, the plan view is used more that any other. Having a 2D drawing while in plan rather than looking down on all the 3D geometry is super efficient. First, you can refine the 2D plan image to have only the information you need for space planning. A chair, for example, can be a simple square. If you were looking down on all the 3D geometry you would see the legs, back, etc. With a 2D plan view you can make the chair with as much detail as you want without taking a hit in working speed. These objects are symbols, of course, which also helps. So when I make a 3D symbol I create a "Convert Copy to Lines" in plan view to become the 2D counterpart. I then edit out any lines I don't need. This also leads to very clean, easy to read plan drawings for clients without having to render it in Hidden Line. Hybrid symbols is actually what sets VW apart from other CAD programs and is its main selling point. I wish it had the same ability in Front, Left, and Right views. I put it on the wish list a few years back, but I'm still waiting. Hope that helps.