Mysterious "Ghost Shape"

Sambo

Question

Alright, some voodoo stuff is going on. There seems to be a random rectangle that only shows up in rendered scenes (Final, Fast, Custom, etc.). The shape does not show up on Top Plan view or in Open GL. The shape is not selectable on any class, layer, etc. The rectangle also affects the concrete textured floor as well. The shape also seems to be manipulated when I render different angles of the scene, yet the shape doesn't seem to stay consistent with a specific perspective. It just....does whatever the heck it pleases.  Is my project haunted? Do I call in an exorcist? 

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance. 

Ex 1 - Wireframe

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 3.56.02 PM.png

Ex 1 - Open GL

Screen_Shot_2016-10-11_at_3_56.28_PM.png

Ex 1 - Final Quality RW

Screen_Shot_2016-10-11_at_3_59.30_PM.png

Ex 2 - Wireframe

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 4.02.27 PM.png

Ex 2 - Open GL

Screen_Shot_2016-10-11_at_4_02.41_PM.png

Ex 2 - Final Quality RW

Screen_Shot_2016-10-11_at_4_10.47_PM.png

6 answers to this question

Just something to try if you haven't already... in your Design Layer turn on ALL of your classes (Alt-Click the Visible column), and make sure the Class Options is set to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Then do the same thing with Design Layers. Then perhaps the mystery object might appear?

I've had this issue before and doing the above helped. It turned out I had a 2D shape inside of an extrude that was on a different class than the extrude itself (I wish this weren't possible, btw), and although it wouldn't appear in the Design Layer because one class or the other was turned off, it would mysteriously render in the viewport even though the viewport's class settings were the same as on my Design Layer. Very strange.

• Like 2

You could try to do a marquee select of the area where that voodoo object is supposed to be and then see if you can remove it. Or do a select all and look for an odd selected object, deselect that object and then inverse selection so that only this mistery object remains selected and then delete it.

It looks like it is an object with no outline but with a texture applied to it. Then it may only show up in a rendered viewport. Probably a copy/paste or duplication gone wrong that caused this mystery object. Or one of those things that sometimes come in with imported geometry.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

I've had this issue before and doing the above helped. It turned out I had a 2D shape inside of an extrude that was on a different class than the extrude itself (I wish this weren't possible, btw), and although it wouldn't appear in the Design Layer because one class or the other was turned off, it would mysteriously render in the viewport even though the viewport's class settings were the same as on my Design Layer. Very strange.

Ditto, it is really annoying if that happens. It's somewhat similar to a symbol with items in multiple classes vanishes completely if you turn off one of those classes used in the symbol. but shows up again elsewhere. And that behaviour is not always consistent so it becomes a hunting game to find the troublesome element.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Just something to try if you haven't already... in your Design Layer turn on ALL of your classes (Alt-Click the Visible column), and make sure the Class Options is set to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Then do the same thing with Design Layers. Then perhaps the mystery object might appear?

Andy, I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was. Although it could have been a multitude of problems,the rectangle was seemingly stuck within the floor extrude. I ended up deleting the floor altogether and the ghost vanished with it. Thank you Andy and Art V. Cuddos  :)