Crash at render higher then openGL - 2017

ginger04

Question

Hi,

it's all about renderworks 2017 - everything in vectorworks 2017 works fine, even in open GL, but it losts totally (crashes) when try to render in mode from fast, custom, artistic to final.... I run it as administrator, nvidia drivers renewed (NVIDIA GeForce 540M), windows rebooted, antivirus shut down... strange is that image props are shown (filled) in openGL as black images... Any clues? tried also mess with settings of graphic card (didn't get correct solution)...  

Best Regards

Ginger04

Edited by ginger04

8 answers to this question

Renderworks is not going to use your graphics card.  It will use your RAM and your processor.  That may be the culprit if you are:

Trying to render something with too much complexity (too many polygons)

Trying to render something at too high of a resolution

Those are just guesses.  Not sure what you are trying to render and how complex or large it is.  I'd scale back to a very easy test file and see if the problem persists.

9 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

Renderworks is not going to use your graphics card.  It will use your RAM and your processor.  That may be the culprit if you are:

Trying to render something with too much complexity (too many polygons)

Trying to render something at too high of a resolution

Those are just guesses.  Not sure what you are trying to render and how complex or large it is.  I'd scale back to a very easy test file and see if the problem persists.

I just created simpliest 3D object as sphere and rendering is not possible....!

• Like 1

Same trouble overhere. As soon as I start rendering anything from a saved viewport VW2017 crashes

And when I am in normal design mode VW 2017 crashes when it start rendering in anything different then openGL mode

Exported it back to 2016 and there it works perfectly

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Ornette said:

I am also having this issue + renders are low resolution. Can't keep restarting every 10 minutes - something seriously wrong here. Render works is fundamental to the appeal of VW. Needs to be fixed asap or no point persevering with VW.

Make sure to get in touch directly with tech support and have them take a look, they will likely ask for this as well from that machine:

I have now gotten the same problem.  I render with Polygon unshaded, and only one of the items has any texture to it.  There really isn't much there; a small stage, some spacers and some people.  I rendered it yesterday and it was fine.  Now it crashes every time I use a polygon mode.  What gives?  I've tried everything from moving pieces into another file to adjust my graphics card values for that program to resaving the file.  I'm going to try exporting to 2016 next.  I'm wondering if there isn't a problem with Renderworks that requires admin status. 

Renderworks won't use a Graphics card to Render Graphics?  There's a new one.  I used to play around with those problems when dual graphics modes were first showing up; ultimately, most programs were written to grab the first processor in the graphics path, and when it was a CPU, they would crash because the CPU didn't have the instruction architectures that Graphics cards had, and all the while the program was actually seeing the graphics card as being the place to send the instructions, so all the API calls and values were built for a piece of hardware that was down the line, just past another piece of hardware.  Unfortunately, it appears that renderworks has somehow fallen back into this problem.  

My main CPU should only use about 1-2gb of ram for graphics, but my secondary card has 4gb.  It's easy to tell why I want to use one over the other.

I've had issues in the past with some programs needing ADMIN rights if they use graphics.  The first time they run, everything is ok, but afterward, they are flagged and there's no dialogue to allow them admin access if they are called by another program.  I'll search that out first and let you know.

Update:

I opened a new file, blank.  I used a basic wall.  I rendered in several different modes.  It's not renderworks.  It's my file.  At first, it worked, and I'm guessing the polygon styles don't like textures.  I also have a lot of collisions between my own extruded spacers and it may be that the polygon renders are having trouble with those.  I tried with and without Admin rights.  Oddly enough, without admin rights everything processes through open gl a lot faster.  If both VW and RW are set to normal compatibility, it's fast.  I'm going to guess that there's a system check that occurs in the function to startup the render, then in each function that calls system based api's rather than the RW api.  This causes small but noticeable drops in opengl.  The coolest part though is that opengl will render out just fine, and I ran a benchmark on my cards, my intel cpu gets every message, but only outputs about 1\4 of the info back into the program, while my NVIDIA GPU (980m) will output the rest, and still get it all.  My best guess here is that SLI or and IRIS variant is running in the background to balance the weight across the two.  The memory processes when the crash occurs fill up with error data, and neither processor does anything.  It has to be the textures.  I'll turn them off.  I don't need them so much, only to visualize differences in objects.  Perhaps a solid color can provide that.  

Textures that are 2d and placed on 3d don't work well with polygons that are colliding so much (overlapping).  That's why they have such a problem.  I'm uploading my project file.  Check the spacers between the child models.  They have a class texture applied.  Try rendering.  It may be that the latest version of renderworks does not like my work there.  No biggie for me, but others may have a problem.

Disney_Stage.vwx

Edited by HalTDavis
checked problem again; ran testing; New info