Vision 2017 | Focus Points, Model Views, Document Origin

Daniel B. Chapman

Question

I think these topics were raised quite a long time ago but it might be worth revisiting now that it looks like Vision Instruments are native in Vectorworks 2017

Is there any way to synchronize the following features linked into the ESC Export? These would be a great help to designers working with a large number of conventional fixtures.

1) Focus Points (conventional fixtures focused upon export in Vision)

• The focus point question is self explanatory, this would save a lot of time coming from a Renderworks model even if there were some minor problems with accuracy. It sure beats focusing by mouse click.

2) Model Views (2D presentation layers represented correctly in Vectorworks 3D) exported directly to Vision from the Viewport.

• A simple example of this is a lighting boom. Right now my 2D drawings comes in as 2D and the 3D drawing isn't really presentable. As a result I have to have two files or a file with multiple entries for each light.

Right now everything in the Vision workflow is pure-3D and while that's fine for the modeling phase extrapolating that into something that I can present to a working crew is basically a new drawing. In a perfect world what I have in my 3D model would be accurately represented in Vision so I could make some changes to the set or plot and just update my model without rethinking things or making duplicate layers (one 3D and one 2D) for my drawings. Unfortunately the combined 2D/3D workflow wrecks havoc on the paperwork side of things so this is a constant headache. 

3) Document Origin 

• Right now it looks like Vision exports geometry based on the center for that geometry (which makes sense) but it makes positioning something inside Vision with accuracy very difficult. It would be nice to have some parity between the Scene Graph and Vectorworks origin. Obviously that is happening somewhere in the process, but in translation the ESP origin isn't the same.

If I'm wrong about this it would be great to have some documentation on how to achieve it. I've done a fair amount of looking around this week.

Edited by Daniel B. Chapman
  • Like 1

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet