Prince Nuada

Line tool: I'm stuck :- \

Question

Can anyone kindly tell me how I reselt, or return to a "normal" line?  Somehow I got stuck with dashes that only go horizontal and vertical.  And I cannot reset the line tool.   Any advice appreciated....  Richard

5 answers to this question

This is usually either the Mode of the line tool near the top left of the drawing area being set to Constrained, which can be toggled by pressing the U key when the Line tool is active, or (less commonly) in your Snapping settings for Angle, Angle snapping is enabled and set for certain angles.

The "line style" – solid or dashed – is controlled by the default set in the Attributes palette. Change that, and your lines will  be drawn as you wish them to.  You set the defaults in the attributes pallet by changing the settings with nothing selected.

Edited by P Retondo

Thank you, JimW.  I now see the line contrain toggle.  And thank you, P Petondo, I've located the Attributes line style drop-down menu.  This menu has a few dozen line types (dashes, breaks, etc), but "solid line" does not appear to be one of the choices.  I cannot revert to a normal line.  Any further thoughts appreciated.      

Just above the line types in the Attributes Palette, there is the "Pen Style" dropdown, which presumably you have set to Line Type. Change that to Solid. (If it says Class Style, then you have a class set up to used dashed lines and you'd change that by editing the class itself).