Sterling

Question

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on here so I hope someone can help. I'm using VW 16' with Spotlight. I'm having trouble getting any of my lighting to turn on. I started with custom fixture but have moved on to the defaults and am having the same problem. Everything comes in fine but when I turn them on, through the visualization window or right clicking, only one or two of them come on. Shadows have been completely disabled and they've been given focus points... myself and two other guys I work with are at a loss. Anyone have an idea what we're missing? On top of that, the lighting that does turn on seems very weak.

Zilker_Ballroom_2.pdf

Zilker_Ballroom_1.pdf

1 answer to this question

Looks to me like you are rendering in OpenGL?

I can see some lights turned on. VW will only render 8 fixtures/lights in open GL on the design layer. They seem weak because you have ambient lighting turned on. Disabling shadows is correct as infuriatingly, Spotlight fixtures in OpenGL cast a shadow over themselves so don't render any light if shadows are enabled. (there is a work around for this by creating an open faced "dummy" fixture which you can test shots and shadows with etc.) Turn it right down and your lights will render more clearly.

The only way to see more than 8 lights in Open GL is to render it in a viewport on a sheet layer, but once you have created a viewport on a sheet layer, then you might as well go for a more realistic rendering style.

Hope that helps

Mark