Add to User Library

Kevin McAllister

Question

I wish I could right click on an object in a drawing and choose "Add to User Library" - symbols, Marionette nodes, etc.. A dialog would come up and ask me where to put it.

And I wish I could right click on an object in the Resource Manager and do the same thing.

Why is it so difficult to build a user friendly object manager? I don't want to dig around and move things between files. Simple is better.

Kevin

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Isn't this what Right Clicking and choosing EXPORT does? How should it be different?

Thanks Pat. I completely overlooked that. I guess it is. However it's definitely an interface fail to label it "Export". Export in the VW world means converting something from one form to another. I didn't even think to try it when I was looking for the option before wish listing.

Unfortunately you can't right click on a Marionette node and get that option at the moment, so the primary impetus for posting still remains......

Kevin

15 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I doubt you are ever going to get it for a network. The only thing that you can transfer between files are resources. A network is not a resource. Select the Network, Create Symbol and save it as a "Red" symbol (Convert to PIO on insert) and then you can Export it to another file.

Hi Pat, I'm looking for a simple way to add a single node to the node library, nothing more. Say I download a file containing a custom node from the forums and I want to add that to the local libraries on my machine. Not at all an unreasonable request.... they are a resource after all, they're just implemented in a way inconsistent with other resources.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

We can get into a semantics game here. If they don't show in the Resource Manager are they really Resources? They are certainly Default Content.

Two ways you could express the wish. One would be for Nodes (and probably networks) to be made into true resources that are shown in the Resource Manager.

The second would be for an Export command to allow the transfer of Nodes (and probably networks) to other files.

I don't know which would be better, but I think maybe the first option would be better.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

We can get into a semantics game here. If they don't show in the Resource Manager are they really Resources? They are certainly Default Content.

Two ways you could express the wish. One would be for Nodes (and probably networks) to be made into true resources that are shown in the Resource Manager.

The second would be for an Export command to allow the transfer of Nodes (and probably networks) to other files.

I don't know which would be better, but I think maybe the first option would be better.

I think I would prefer the first option too. Its much less confusing when things are implemented in the same way across the board.

KM

I guess a work around is to convert the node in the network to a Symbol and them export it to your desired folder. One more step at this end but one less at the other end. (Converting to a Symbol) Same # of steps.

Actually you still have to go to the file in the workgroup of user group to pull the symbols out of th resource manager onto the drawing for them to show up in the marionette dropdown menu. mmmm

Edited by Alan Woodwell