Project Sharing Causes 2017 to crash

FiELD9

Question

We had given project sharing a try in 2016 and were satisfied with how it worked with the small project we were working on. I tried to share a project in 2017 that i need to have multiple people working on to meet a deadline. However, every time i try to set up Project Sharing, Vectorworks crashes. I tried different settings. But everytime, it crashed. Any thoughts on why this might be?

Vectorworks Architect 2017

MacBook Pro Late 2013

2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

OS X Yosemite

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

We are having the same problem - worked fine in 2016 but in 2017, the administrator is not able to check out layers and not able to save changes - then perhaps the next time we go in, all is well - seems to be very unstable and unreliable. Seems to think that other users are using the file when going to save and commit, but the file is not actually in use. Seems to be when you hit the commit or save button mostly that things go wrong.

I ended up having to create a new user login on my computer to fix the issues i was having with setting the file up. But we are still experiencing some problems similar to what you describe when trying to use it. It seems to work ok when used on the same network. But when working remotely, all bets are off. It definitely needs some improvements.

We too are about to start a new Project Share project.   To clarify - you are getting crashes when Admins log on from an outside network?  That is not going to be our use case right away - but remote collaboration is supposed to be one of the big benefits.  

@JimW Are there known issues with remote access?  What should project sharing newbies know before we embark?  I need this to go smoothly.  (Sorry for bugging you today).

Also having a similar issue. Whenever I try to open or create a project sharing file VWX 2017 crashes and exits. Massively annoying because the issue only seems to be with my laptop in the office (everyone else's is fine) and 2016 worked fine for me. 

Have contacted technical support, they've suggested the usual uninstall / install and starting in safe mode stuff but nothing works. He said they've had reports from a couple of other users with the issue and they solved it by doing a complete clean install on their OS but really haven't got the time to rebuild from scratch on the off chance it might solve it. 

Will update if I find a solution... 

I've got the same issue, can't use project sharing with my user ID. It just crashes everytime I try to open or create a project file. I've created a new ID and that works but I'm still trying to find a way of getting it working on my main one as I haven't got time to completely recreate it.

have been advised to try and duplicate my user ID, will give it a go  and let you know if it works.

I'm having the same issue, my laptop crashes every time I try and open a project file and create a working file from it. 

Files work fine on my colleague's machines. 

I've tried recreating my user ID and restoring my machine from backup as per tech support suggestions but still crashes. 

Did anyone find a good resolution to this?