Here is an elevation of a beam pocket drawn with a window opening in the wall. As you can see the floor plan shows the opening and the beam, how can I avoid that. I suspect I am not doing that the right way. Could anyone help me out on how to do that the proper way. Note that I tried to do that with a wall recess but I end up with an exterior wall flange on the right side of the opening. Is there a way to limit the height of the section for the floor plan?

Any help is much appreciated, Thank you all

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 7.15.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-05 at 7.15.31 PM.png

Edited by Christian Fekete
rewrite the question
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try selecting the window and setting the Break (near the top of the Obj Info palette) to "No Break". This option will still show the outline of the opening in plan views but the wall will continue through. Ideally, you'd have a way to dash the outline in plan views but I have not found a good way to do this. You can, however, place the window in a class that is turned off in plan views. The hole will still show up in 3D views. The downside to this is that you'll need to make the class visible in order to select and edit the window object.

Or, there's option B: Create a symbol and insert it into the wall with "No Break".  The symbol would have a simple rectangle (with a dashed line and no fill) in the 2D component, and an extrude in the 3D Wall Hole Component. See the attached file.

Beam_Pocket_Option_B.vwx

• Like 1

No problem!

The 3D Wall Hole Component lets you override the default 3D Wall hole VW gives symbols. When no wall hole component is present, wall holes will cut the hole based on the 3D geometry. This is often enough but can sometimes not give desired results. The hole profile is generated as if you placed a rubber band around the 3D geometry (looking at the face of the wall). This causes problems when you have shapes like an extruded "L" because the "rubber banded" hole will not fill in between the top and bottom right of the shape.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.25.48 PM.png

The wall hole component let's you get around the problem by inserting 3D geometry that will subtract from the wall. Keep in mind that this geometry will subtract from the wall meaning it can be any complex shape and only the shape will be removed. The example below shows the hole cut geometry located so that it only cuts through the brick component of the wall making a niche.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.24.07 PM.png

Edited by Matt Panzer

Christian,

I made a few changes to get what you needed.

But first: I noticed that the design layer scale is set to 1:1. While some VW users do this, I find it best to set it to a scale you plan to use for the typical floor plan. Usually 1/4" = 1' (imperial) or 1:50 (metric). This give you more WYSIWYG graphics as you work on the plan. I changed the design layer scale in the attached file. Keep in mind that the scale is not changing the model but only how it's displayed. This allows the line weights and line styles and other graphics to show as it would be printed at that scale.

This is what else I did to the file:

1. created a new "Structural-Beam" class and gave it a dash-dot line style

2. Placed the Structural Member object in the Structural-Beam class

3. Selected the Structural Member and edited its 2D Appearance settings (via the Setting button in the Obj info palette) as shown in the attached screenshot. This gave the beam a dash-dot line for the centerline of the beam (see screenshot).

4. I then edited the storefront symbol, selected the entry door, and clicked the Settings button in the Obj Info palette.

5. In the Hardware pane of the dialog, I chose the handle for the door (see screenshot).

storefront_in_brick_wall-02.vwx

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.01.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.07.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.13.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.14.05 AM.png

• Like 1

Thanks Michael, the reason why the scale was 1:1 is that I copied the wall from my drawing at scale 1:48 to a new file where I did not make the change but thank you for this anyway, always good to recap essentials. as far as the rest is concerned, it all looks good and will implement as suggested. Again, thank you for your follow up, it really helped me figure this out and I realize now that I learned a great deal going through this exercise. I hope you have a great weekend. 

Best Regards

Christian Fekete

Hi, Been following this along with interest as it's a nice setup and looks good in final result. Just a question, in my top plan view there is a section of the wall missing but roll it over in open GL it fills in???

MM Closed and re-opend file an all appears ok now.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hi Alan,

Interesting. I have not seen that in the file. However, I just noticed the wall breaks at the ends of the beam instead of at the end of the storefront frame.

Christian, I'm not sure if you fixed this, but it can be fixed by placing two loci (in the symbol definition) to define the ends of the wall break. In this case, you should have the loci located where the wall should meet the storefront.