SPOTLIGHT changing the color of a fixture in a light plot..

hi

I'm missing something.....

i get the whole legend manager, 

but i can't find the place where i can make a lighting fixture from default black to a different color...

so i can show the added fixtures in a larger design...

please step by step instructions if possible...

thank u

jb

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi! Did you get an answer on your question ? I'm exactly at same spot as you.
We just swop to VW on our company for rigging and light plots. I'm really regretting the investment. For us its such an important matter to have proper color fixture plots before handling to technical department. 

We are setting up a show as follows: 48 Robe Pointe, 70 Mac 101, 70 Mac Aura, 112 VL3000, 85 VL3500, 54 NXT-1, 112 Nexus4x4 and few more… so visual color code its the key to success…

Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution soon. 

Thank you very much for such a fast response.

Need to see color coded lighting fixtures on wireframe to print PDF's on 4 different main views: top, front, left/right, isometric.

The goal its to explain in detail where goes each fixture, specially on complicated rigging design. Attach its a small-stage example of minimum requirements for lighting crew before begin cable prep (still haven't begin with in Vectorworks)

Thank very much for your kind response. Am I being more specific on my personal job challenge? I accepted the swop to VW to make our technical production smoother and faster, flawless… And I know its there, I just can't figure it out yet on such small task.

Thank you in advance if you could find the time to guide me through... Would really appreciate it.59eb99added64_ScreenShot2017-10-21at13_53_34.png.a991ec364137de54a3997da5f50655ee.png59eb99ae76985_ScreenShot2017-10-21at13_55_19.png.d9d35cfeff900efa5ff5c1a571f08204.png59eb99aebc29e_ScreenShot2017-10-21at13_56_16.png.3b2bca7ffc149ae568ddb0f1be43c79f.png59eb99af1b157_ScreenShot2017-10-21at14_00_19.png.a910a1aa5b273c9e8e9a16c8c7920ac1.png 

Go to the resource manager under symbols/plug-in objects.  Right click on the symbol you want to edit.  Chose Edit 2D.  Edit to taste.

Right click on an empty space,  Choose Edit 3D.  There should be 4 objects.  Ignore the 3D locus.  Select each of other 3 objects and change the line color.  

Exit the symbol edit,.

Hello,

If you want individual control without having to duplicate the symbol several times (one for each colour) maybe consider using a 3D label Legend?

If you select each one you can give it a different fill colour - but you have to do this manually. A bit of a drag with a large rig but don't forget the powerful 'Find & Modify' command in the Spotlight menu is a quick way to select objects with a certain criteria e.g. position or rigging type. 

I don't think it's possible to colour the 3D label with classes but some bright spark might work out a more elegant solution. Snapshot and file enclosed.

Cheers,

Peter

Coloured 3D Label Legend.jpg

Lx_Colours.vwx

Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess you want to change the general black appearance of the 3d lanterns from the library. Maybe the solution you look for is quite simple:

Fixtures from the library mostly have a black texture instead of a fill colour. To change the colour appearance of a 3D lantern from black to some general colour you have to open the 3d Symbol definition , select the objects you want to change, go to the Render Tab in the OIP and switch the texture drop down from texture to "none". Then you can change the colour of the objects in the Attributes palette as desired. Or you create a new texture with new basic colour and replace the black texture.

This changes all symbols in your drawing to the new colour. If you want to have several lanterns with different colours you have to make several symbols by dublicating and editing.

Maybe this helps.. :) 

Edited by halfcouple