Graphic of the Resource Browser

I've just opened 2017 having updated the day after release. I like the updates to the Resource Browser.

Just one observation; the graphics are very, very OLD SCHOOL! Having just looked at some files on a Bubble Mac this is very Reminiscent of Mac OS 9!

O.o 

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 2

I concur. As one who never seems to stop talking about interfaces, I couldn't work out what was going on. With the palette close/minimise buttons and the Resource Browser, opening the app felt like I was seeing a Windows XP/Mac OS 9 hybrid mish-mash. Between that and the app icon colour, I am wondering who signed off on this stuff? Maybe their graphics guys spent all their time on these forums, coz they are wonderfully pared back, yet nicely slick.

I hope I am not sounding too harsh. I have high expectations of Vectorworks. And whilst the look of a thing may not be as important as it's function, it is these small touches of a thing that increase our delight, and therefore increase our desire to use them.

It looks as if Vectorworks is attempting to go the Cinema 4D route, where their interface is the same on Mac and PC. Hoping it is just their version of Apple's controversial iOS 7/Mac OS Lion releases. 🤓

• Like 2

To be fair, I do not think a complete overhaul is necessary. It may be possible, but I would be hesitant to suggest that Vectorworks needs a Final Cut Pro X kind of overhaul. A full UI/UX overhaul probably a different product. I think, if Vectorworks wants to push the envelope with UI, it is on mobile devices. If these features take off, translate them to the desktop product in staggered increments. 

Before this, it would be a good start to give Vectorworks a unified language for all interface elements. Whilst I have mentioned (and been voted down on ;)) on the graphics of the Resource Browser, a better example could be the Subdivsion tools face move arrows. These feel alien and bolted onto to the Vectorworks UI, and a blatant rip-off of C4D. Let Vectorworks be Vectorworks, but let it's visual language be clear.

In the background, I look at Affinity Designer and Photo, with their desktop and soon to be iPad apps, can't help but think Adobe is up against it. Would love Vectorworks to get to this point – screaming fast on any device, and synced via cloud. Obviously Vectorworks is a far more complex app, with far more legacy baggage. But I suspect this is the future. Wow, BIM is complex!

Finally, regarding my previous Resource Browser comments, and whilst I not excusing bad UI, as one who has not moved to Retina graphics yet, I suspect these newer elements might look a little better on Retina displays. Cheers.

• Like 2

Couple of things: I moved to a retina screen as soon as I could rationalize cost, and these older eyes have been happy ever since. The new RB UI does not look better on retina, in fact the flaws seem greater. I hope the future holds a quieter UI, with easier-to-read elements. I point you to this example. Please note I am not endorsing the product here, just the UI design.

autocad-2017-pdf-import-06.png