Autohybrid overhaul

grant_PD

Question

Improvements to the Autohybrid function:

• Incorporate it into the symbol container
  • Adjustments to the three planes should be interactive and real time.  ie.  3 sliders that also have manual input.  We need to be able to see the changes.
  • Building or editing inside the autohybrid shouldn't cause the world to go screwy.  Right now doing so is fraught with danger. 
  • Allow for groups and symbols to be inside the autohybrid.
  • an ON/OFF switch. 
  • preset planes to choose from.  Furniture gets a different set of planes than walls do.  I should be able to select my setting and have the planes adjust. 
  • Like 3

9 answers to this question

Yes please!

18 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

Building or editing inside the autohybrid shouldn't cause the world to go screwy.  Right now doing so is fraught with danger. 

This relates to my own wishlist post about editing within container objects. It definitely is a nightmare.

Please also make it possible to include NURBS curves in Autohybrids.

Kevin

• Like 1

I can see a workflow for two types of Autohybrid -

- a symbol variety, with its own origin

- a non-symbol variety, which doesn't have its own origin and responds to the document origin instead.

They're already being used for both of these workflows but they don't do either very well. At least if it didn't have its own origin it would be useable in both ways. Right now it competes with itself in a bad way.

Kevin

18 hours ago, grant_PD said:

Improvements to the Autohybrid function:

• Incorporate it into the symbol container

Yes! "Autohybrid" should be an additional feature of a symbol, not a separate object.

On 17.5.2009 at 4:13 PM, Thomas Wagensommerer said:

"Spatial" Layer

Hybrid and 3D objects would appear on every layer according to their actual 3D dimensions. We could draw walls that span several stories (without the problem of seam lines in sections and elevations). The need to draw vertical building elements several times on several layers would disappear.

The appearance of all other 3D objects should be controlled by the cut plane of the layer. (Back in 2009 I called that feature "Spatial Layer".)

18 hours ago, grant_PD said:
  • preset planes to choose from.  Furniture gets a different set of planes than walls do.  I should be able to select my setting and have the planes adjust.

Yes, almost! You would not want furniture be cut in half by the cut plane, so every object needs an option whether it should be cut. No additional planes would be needed. If you need a special cut plane you would create a symbol and use the "Autohybrid" feature of the symbol.

5 hours ago, Thomas Wagensommerer said:

Yes! "Autohybrid" should be an additional feature of a symbol, not a separate object.

It would be useful to have it as a feature of a symbol (which has to have its own origin by definition).

But it would still be useful to have a standalone version of an autohybrid, that didn't have its own origin. More like a special type of group.

In attempting to get usable floorplans out of a model, I've been trying to have as much as possible as standard objects eg walls, doors, etc, and the remainder modelled directly and converted to autohybrids. My conclusion is similar, the autohybrids are too restrictive to be really useful. It's especially a pain when you want to edit stuff. Now I'm going to try a different approach where my floorplans are made from 2 viewports, one a standard top/plan view and the other a horizontal section through the whole thing, cropped as necessary. Then effectively, that viewport is a kind of autohybrid for the whole thing which can contain groups and so on and the model can then be organised in a way that's easier to keep control of when editing.