Elliptical Walls - can we really not do this?

Tom Klaber

Question

10 answers to this question

Jonathan Pickup has one Podcast Show dealing with a simplyfied example,

just 2 radius Walls but looks ok and explained how to construct, solve geometrical problems,

on his youtube channel.

And I think there are ways to control how fine a nurbs curve will be devide into Arcs, which can be

used to create "Object from ... => Walls"

• Like 1

Just curious about why this is a difficult engineering problem to solve.  Probably because math.

But I feel like walls should be able to follow any poly line or curve.  Now that we have all this cool sub-d and deform tools - walls should be made out of the same goo and be able to be any shape we need them to be.  

• Like 1

There are many Apps that let make things like Walls or Railings follow any curve or vertical

orientation. I think the difference is that VW seems to create a polygon on the ground plane

and extrude it vertically, while others use a vertical Shape to extrude it along a path horizontally.

That may be coming from optimizing for simplified Top Plan View and finally the way how

Wall Joining is realized.

Generally beside Curves and NURBS, everything in VW seems to be Arcs only.

Regarding how often a spline curvature is needed in Architecture and the options to workaround

that with custom geometry I think this is bearable.

Zaha Hadid offices should go to Rhino + VisualARQ though.

Did some testing and see there aren't much options for curved geometry in general :)

And Create Objects from Shapes does not work as expected in VW 2017.

Used an Oval and a converted Nurbs Curve.

Interesting geometry though.

Screenshot-31.jpg

Screenshot-32.jpg

Tom - we just battled this issue on a project.  The design is based on a turtle (Hawaii), so we used an ellipse as the base geometry.

Ultimately the best solution was to use round wall segments AND an extruded exterior shell.  The segments worked fine in plan and section, but the elevations were terrible. 

It meant subtracting solids wherever there was an opening, but the result worked pretty well.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 8.54.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 8.54.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 8.54.49 AM.png

• Like 4