Problems in 2017

Reedmac

Question

I upgraded to 2017 and have enjoyed some of the new features but having problems with bugs. Because of 2017 freezing or crashing, I am running both 2016 and 2017. When I try to copy items from 2016 into 2017 they show up as a flat pdf. Is this something new and is there a way around this? Thought it was strange that when copying items from 2016 to 2017 they flatten into a pdf. 

Also, I am having problems in 2017 where items are disappearing and random center lines and grids are showing up over top of items. I have attache 2 images below. They are from the same diagram and items will just turn off and disappear. If I zoom in or make any changes the items are still missing. I am working on a mac and if I change views to top view, the items show up for a second and then go away. Only way I have found to work around is to change to orthogonal then back to 2d and it seems to work for a bit. 

Really hope the bugs get worked out quickly so I can work in just 2017 without worrying about freezing, crashing, or items disappearing!

gone.pdf

Back.pdf

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The disappearing objects are normally a result of the Navigation Graphics settings in 2017. Go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and drop that to Best Compatibility.

Copying objects from one version of Vectorworks to another however will not work. You will need to save the file in 2016 and open it in 2017 to properly transfer objects. To transfer back the other way, File > Export > Export as Vectorworks 2016 format.

2 minutes ago, JimW said:

The disappearing objects are normally a result of the Navigation Graphics settings in 2017. Go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and drop that to Best Compatibility.

Copying objects from one version of Vectorworks to another however will not work. You will need to save the file in 2016 and open it in 2017 to properly transfer objects. To transfer back the other way, File > Export > Export as Vectorworks 2016 format.

Thank you for the reply. I have made the adjustments to Display settings and hope that works. Also, thanks for the information about 2016 - 2017. I figured as much but wanted to check. I have had 2017 freeze a lot and crash so I am working in 2016 and 2017. Just wanted to see if I can keep from having to re-create items in 2017 from 2016. Looks like I will build in both until I can get 2017 to be stable. Thanks again!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The lowest option is worth checking, however it should be obvious within just a few moments whether that is the cause of the issue or not, if that setting is the culprit the behavior should change right away. There are many fixes in the line for things like this, there are a few things doing it.

9 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I've been encountering a lot of disappearing things in 2017 too, even with Navigation Graphics set to the middle option (maybe I should try the bottom option). It seems to happen most often when I have various nested things, such as Groups inside of Symbols. It's a bit buggy but not terrible, and am hoping SP1 clears it up a bit.

Same experience here. Nested objects are really problematic. I've tried two of the three options and am now working with the last option.

KM

Interesting is that I manage from time to time to make my file view window kind of fullscreen
in the VW Window. So all (docked) palettes disappear.

I can work or open other files normally (still having "new OS X file Tabs") but not with the one file which

disappeared from Tabs.

Until I restart VW or reopen the file.