Altivec

Center on Object after View Change

Question

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just going crazy.   Every time I select a new design layer my screen jumps to another location. (I'm assuming Origin Centre).  This is really annoying as I am constantly having to search and go back to the point I was working.   I know some people like this but I hate it with a passion.  I assumed this is what the "Centre on Object after View Change" in the preference was for but it doesn't change anything for me regardless how I have it set.   The only way I can stop it from jumping is to turn off unified view but I want unified view to be on.  Is this a bug or am I missing how to get this to behave how it use to?

21 answers to this question

Are all of your design layers the same scale (1:1, or 1:20 etc)?  I think that can mess things up.  

Just double checked to make sure.   All layers 1:96.   Oh and I have to change my signature.  This is happening on VW17.   I did not have this issue in VW16.

The only thing I know to do is on your layer scale - make sure that "All Layer" box is checked.  Aside from that - sorry.  No other ideas!  Good luck!

• Like 1

Check the layer scale again - it really sounds like a design layer scale issue.

Have you tried a restart?

Edited by Tom Klaber

Thanks for your help benboggs.  I turned "All Layers" on because it was off but it did not make any difference.   I just tried making a new document to see if this happens their and everything seems to works as its suppose to (No Jumping).  If I turn on "Centre on Objects after view change"  it jumps like it does in my document.    I'm guessing there is something that happened in the transitioning of this file from a 2016 file that makes it ignore the "Centre of Objects after view change" preference.   Its a very large snd complex file so there is no starting from scratch and I still have about a year of work on it so hopefully I find a solution to it. 

• Sad 1

Tom.  Quadruple checked and went line by line.  All design layers are on the same scale 1:96 .   Its been acting this way ever since I transitioned to 2017.  So yes, multiple restarts and it also acts the same way on my home computer.

On 10/3/2016 at 5:07 PM, Altivec said:

Tom.  Quadruple checked and went line by line.  All design layers are on the same scale 1:96 .   Its been acting this way ever since I transitioned to 2017.  So yes, multiple restarts and it also acts the same way on my home computer.

Ha.  Bug it is!

• Like 1

yah. for sure it is, I tried everything.  Considering nobody else seems to be experiencing this., I am going to assume its going to be a long year for me working on this file.  :(

Hi, Try in VW preferences under display tick 'Center on objects after view change.'

Saw you did this before,, so the only other issue is usually you have an object way out in space. Turn on all classes and design layers and select all and see what you have, select the ones you know you want and hit shift to invert the selection then delete the other items. zoom ll and see what you have.
HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Alan, 

As mentioned it is a big file in terms of file size and across great distance within the file scale.  So when you say objects out in space, yes there are some way out there, but I need them there.    I figured out what its centering to each time (the internal origin marker).  I know this because I turned it on in preferences and now a cyan marker shows up there.  This marker is close to where I am working (near the centre of the page) but needless to say , having to keep adjusting your location no matter how little is very jarring and annoying.

Just to provide a little more information.  this happens every time I select a different design layer.  Regardless if all layers are active or no layers are active.  Even if I switch to an empty layer.  the screen jumps to and centres itself to that cyan marker.    It appears that the zoom level stays where I have it, just the xy coordinates change. 

• Like 1

Hi, I unticked   'Center on objects after view change.'  and when changing from one design layer to another i came back to exactly where I was. HTH

Yes...  That's how it should work but on this file, VW2017 behaves the same regardless if I have it checked or unchecked.  Its as if the wiring of that check box got disconeected and no longer works any more.  I think I have to file a bug report for this because its driving me nuts working this way.  Either that or I will have to go back to 2016.

4 minutes ago, JimW said:

If it is only occurring in specific files, it won't get accepted as a bug unfortunately.

Huh? Isn't this potentially a bug with how VW2017 converts VW2016 files? In my experience most file specific issues originate this way.... moving from one version to another. 

KM

Thanks Jim... That's good to know and you saved me some time reporting it.   I will try your layer import technique when I get a little down time here (maybe the weekend)

Yes... This definitely happened in the migration process.  Definitely a bug somewhere  but I realize its like finding a needle in a hay stack unless more people report experiencing this.  With that I understand the reasoning behind not devoting time on one specific file.   Unfortunately, I'm really busy right now or I would try several migrations slowly eliminating layers, then objects to see where it goes wrong.  The bad part is that I did so much additional work in the 2017 file, that I would really be annoyed to lose all of that.

22 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Huh? Isn't this potentially a bug with how VW2017 converts VW2016 files? In my experience most file specific issues originate this way.... moving from one version to another. 

KM

This is true IF it can be reproduced reliably, so if EVERY file converted from 2016 to 2017 had this behavior, then yes. If its only some files, then unless a common element can be found between them (Has Round Walls, includes asterisks in file name, references a DWG, etc) and reproduced reliably that way, it will get rejected as well.

Basically, for a bug to be accepted, it has to be reproducible on-demand given a set of steps that replicate the issue on separate machines with the same OS/hardware etc.

But to be clear, I do not disagree that this is clearly an issue, it's just a matter of getting it filed properly once we have enough info/evidence. I don't mean to imply that just because it can't be submitted as a bug YET that it is not a bug.

I think I figured it out.... 

I opened the file today and I was shocked that everything was working normally.  That was until I changed to a different view in the navigation pallet.   As soon as I did that once, it went back to the centering itself to origin behaviour with no way of getting out of it.   So to be clear, each time I start the file fresh, it works fine until I do a view change (i have about 10 different saved views and it doesn't matter which one I select).  So I took a shot in the dark thinking that migration bug is in the saved views somewhere so I started with a fresh open file and I deleted all of my saved views before the bug gets initiated.  I then recreated a couple of views and things seem to be working.   I will be working on this file a lot today.  If everything continues to work by the end of the day, I will mark this question answered.  

Thank you everyone for your help.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the problem creeped back in while I was working, so the problem isn't quite solved yet.  I had to give up on problem solving because I had to get some work out but now that i have some clues, I am determined to find out why it keeps reverting to this behaviour. 

I think I've got the answer! (This has been driving me crazy, until another colleague of mine brought it up)

Uncheck VIEW > UNIFIED VIEW 

That seemed to help in VW2018. Cheers!