Sheet Border tool and referenced titleblocks

ericjhberg

Question

Can somebody align me to a better workflow than the one we are currently using for sheet borders in multiple files for the same project.

We currently

1. Have the mother sheet border symbol in the title sheet file

2. Reference the symbol into each referenced file

3. Insert the symbol as part of a sheet border component

When project information changes...

4. Edit the sheet border 2D symbol in the mother file for project information (date, project title, data, etc.)

5. Update the reference to the title block file in the other referenced files

6. TOOLS > UTILITIES > RESET ALL PLUG-INS....

This was a workflow provided to me in another post, but it hasn't been the most effective way. Often sheet borders disappear rather than update. We need a much better way of handling this.

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

With the new option in 2016 Project Sharing to do a base file (home file) and then you check out components and work on them - that might be easier.  Worked well for us on a project (but we only had 4 sheets).  If the project info changed - we updated it once and all sheets were updated.   Have you tried that?  

Thanks Ben. We have tried project sharing in 2016 and struggled getting it integrated. Our projects are often upwards of 50 sheets and can contain as many as 100+ design layers. We have postponed going to a project sharing approach until file size and design layer management has become more streamlined.

We are still relying on what is essentially the old AutoCAD xref method for our work. Separate files for separate sheet sets with referenced data (viewports, symbols, titleblocks, etc.) in between. We used to use the titleblock as a referenced symbol placed on each sheet, and updated the fields using a record format. We switched to the sheet border component to offer more flexibility with issue and revision data, but still haven't fully worked out how to make it work with our workflow.

Thanks.

One issue might be that when you use a custom symbol for the sheet border, VW seems to put it in its own folder, and it might lose the link to the mother file.  We did the mother file (we called it Global) for this, but did not use sheet border, just used our symbol with custom formats.

With the sheet border - you can change project-wide data if you properly set up the record format - but of course, that is only for a single file.  So if you were to use the P prefix for the records, you could change all the sheets at once, but you would still have to make the change in each file.  BUT if you are already planning on doing that for the Revisions data, then it is no more work. 

We tried to use the P_ record fields to control project wide data, but like you said, it won't carry through all the file references. Ultimately I want to avoid double data entry to reduce the chances for errors.

I haven't tried referncing issue data (:i) through referenced sheet border symbols. I wonder if that will work globally? I know revision data (:r) is set up to work per sheet. 

Thanks Tom...still hoping for a slightly better way. It would at least be nice to not have to use the Tools > Reset all plug-ins command. That is where we have had the most problems.

23 hours ago, ericjhberg said:

We tried to use the P_ record fields to control project wide data, but like you said, it won't carry through all the file references. Ultimately I want to avoid double data entry to reduce the chances for errors.

I haven't tried referncing issue data (:i) through referenced sheet border symbols. I wonder if that will work globally? I know revision data (:r) is set up to work per sheet. 

Thanks Tom...still hoping for a slightly better way. It would at least be nice to not have to use the Tools > Reset all plug-ins command. That is where we have had the most problems.

the revision and issue work the same way and are not global.  I have been asking for a new Set Manager tool that would take a new more useful look at this functionality, because I find the sheet by sheet entry to be error prone.