Data Visualization - Auto-Range

Tom Klaber

Question

This is a potentially powerful tool, but it needs some basic upgrades to make it easier to use.  The first is auto-range detection.  VW should be able to auto-detect the range from lowest to highest - then let me decide 1 of 2 options - Stepped or Gradient.  (User Defined Range option should remain.)

For Stepped - I would then select the number of steps - say 5 - and VW would auto divide the objects based on the auto-detected range.  I then could assign the graphic attributes of each of the steps.

For Gradient - I would simply select two colors, and then VW would auto change the graphic attribute of each object based on where it fell in the auto-detected range and apply the corresponding color value based on where it fell in the auto-detected range. 

5 answers to this question

You are right Tom, this has the potential to be very powerful. It reminds of of data visualization within ArcGIS, but it just needs a couple more options like your suggestions for color editing.

I would also love to see it integrate some spatial analysis capabilities here too with the ability to statistically "classify" the data in different ways. In ArcGIS, they offer the ability to determine the number of classifications (i.e. 3,4,5,6,...) and to then use different methods to determine the breaks between classifications. Those methods include:

Equal interval 
Defined interval 
Quantile 
Natural breaks (Jenks) 
Geometrical interval 
Standard deviation 

You can read more about this on the ESRI wesbite at http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Standard_classification_schemes

The basic gist of this is that data visualization is a potentially powerful arena and let's not stop and the first step...always go further!