Door Plugin Style Texture

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Samuel,

The Classes pane of the Window settings dialog is what you're looking for. Those classes allow you to texture each element by class. The class of the Window PIO itself and the Visibility Classes (in the 2D Visualization pane of the Settings dialog) allow for visibility control.

@Matt Panzer - I know, but it becomes a little redundant with the amount of classes one can have for every texture. What if i have 5 different window types with different textured frames / glazing. Wouldn't it be more productive to set the textures in the plug-in style rather than create 5 different classes for each one of those elements? Essentially ill have a class for every different window type, personally don't think it would make sense productivity wise.

The other way to do it is by object - give a specific object a whole texture and select all of those particular objects by special selection. But it's still cumbersome and counter intuitive. Perhaps this can be a wishlist item?

Edited by Samuel Derenboim

Right. I get your point about having to create separate classes for each texture, but that it currently the only way to do it. Before the implementation of Plug-in Styles, it certainly makes the most sense in managing them. Now that we have Styles, managing then through the style (without classes) should be looked at as an option. However, there are other things to consider since the pen and fill attributes of those elements are also set via the class.

11 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Right. I get your point about having to create separate classes for each texture, but that it currently the only way to do it. Before the implementation of Plug-in Styles, it certainly makes the most sense in managing them. Now that we have Styles, managing then through the style (without classes) should be looked at as an option. However, there are other things to consider since the pen and fill attributes of those elements are also set via the class.

Well by class is one of the preferences. You can also set line types by object or plugin style as well. So if you were to take the custom texture approach, force the plugin style to use line types by object. Doesn't seem that difficult of a method to address coding wise (I'm guessing) because not too many parameters would need to be changed or overhauled. Just a simple conditional statement.

Edited by Samuel Derenboim

For classes it could make sense to do it by class independently. But you're right, it can get complex if somehow you wanted to create separate textures for plug-in styles and still maintain classes for 2d line type elements. The only way to do that is to have 2d elements and 3d elements controlled independently. That seems like it might be a total overhaul to the plugin objects themselves.

14 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

For classes it could make sense to do it by class independently. But you're right, it can get complex if somehow you wanted to create separate textures for plug-in styles and still maintain classes for 2d line type elements. The only way to do that is to have 2d elements and 3d elements controlled independently. That seems like it might be a total overhaul to the plugin objects themselves.

Right. I think it would be a good thing to separate the 2D and 3D. It might not take a complete overhaul, but it will complicate the interface. This IS on the radar...

• Like 1