Jim Wilson

DMX Connectivity Articles

1. Using Sandnet to Connect to Vision 2.3 PC
    INSTALLING SANDNET Step 1: You may have selected to install Sandnet when you
  2. Connecting Vision 2.3 PC using Enttec USB PRO Box
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the Enttec USB PRO Box for it to work properly with ESP Vi
  3. Enttec Open DMX Ethernet to Vision 2.3 PC & 3.0 MAC
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the Enttec Open DMX Ethernet Box for it to work properly w
  4. Connect Hog 3/4 to Vision 2.3 PC & Vision 4 MAC via Artnet
    To run Artnet on the Hog 3/4 Console you will need to have a DP 8000 (internal or external). This discussion is valid
  5. Connect Hog3PC/Hog4PC/Console to Vision 2.3/Vision 4/ Vision 2017 PC
    It is important to start by making sure that you have the correct direct connectivity driver, before trying to connect Hog 3 and
  6. Connecting GrandMA Console to Vision 3 MAC
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the GrandMA Console for it to work properly with ESP Visio
  7. Connect GrandMA onPC/Console to Vision 2.3 PC w/ multi comps
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the GrandMA console (or OnPC) for it to work with ESP Visi
  8. Connect GrandMA onPC to Vision 2.3 PC w/ same comp
    During the last few years, MA-Net protocol has changed, requiring different drivers for different versions of the onPC software.
  9. Connecting Jands Vista Offline to Vision
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the Jands Vista offline editor for it to work properly wit
  10. Connecting Compulite VectorPC to Vision 2.3PC via Art-Net
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the Compulite VectorPC offline editor for it to work prope
  11. Connect Hog 4 PC/Console V3.2+ to Vision 2.3/4 PC
    It is important to start by making sure that you have the correct direct connectivity driver, before trying to
  12. Connect Road Hog to Vision using Artnet
    This discussion is valid for the following configurations: Road Hog Full Boar Console to Vis
  13. Connecting ETC OFFLINE editors to Vision via ARTNET
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the ETC Offline Editors for it to work properly with ESP V
  14. Connecting Jands Vista Console to Vision
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the Jands Vista CONSOLE for it to work properly with ESP V
  15. Connecting Jands Vista 2 (Byron) to Vision
    There are a few things you need to know in order to properly configure the Jands Vista offline editor for it to work properly wit
  16. Hog3PC to Vision 2.3 PC SAME COMPUTER
    It is important to start by making sure that you have the correct direct connectivity driver, before trying to connect Hog 3 and

I am trying to connect vision 17 to Hog 4 PC to start programming a show.  Both are on the same computer running windows 10.  Can anyone guide me on the correct settings I need to get the programs talking to each other?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, GoodwinLtg said:

I am trying to connect vision 17 to Hog 4 PC to start programming a show.  Both are on the same computer running windows 10.  Can anyone guide me on the correct settings I need to get the programs talking to each other?

Thanks

This article, listed above:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1404/Connect+Hog3PC{47}Hog4PC{47}Console+to+Vision+2.3{47}Vision+4+PC

Is there any post explaining how to connect Vision 2018 - GrandMA2?

Hey Mauro, I will write a new one, it looks like when we migrated to the new forums that article got lost somewhere. If you have an MA2 (or dot2) console, just plug it in, send artnet or sACN and change dmx provider in Vision to artnet or scan, that's it.

If you are using ma2onPC, and are in a windows environment you can use MA-Net (ACT hasn't made a driver for mac). Download and install the MA driver from: http://www.actlighting.com/MA/software/utility/ESP%20Vision/gMA-ESPVision[3.100][6.800]-v1.220.zip Then go to Control Panel>Sort by icons> ESP – grandma driver. Change it to ma-net 2, and 127.0.0.1 if using ma on the same computer as vision, or the other option (it will be your computer’s Ip address) if sending across a network.

Luckily the article that was lost is also the easiest one to explain. Give us a shout at tech@vectorworks.net if you have any trouble!

Hey Edward, thanks for answering.

I'm doing step by step an Arnet connection between Vision (running in Mac) and grandMA2 Light. The problem is that when I plug it in the second Arnet slot on my console, Vision crashes and quits instantly. Doesn't happen with the first slot (which is MA-net)

This is happening with the SP2 version. Do I've to delete any kind of cache folder? Maybe is that!

Ah, that's actually great news! What happened is, as soon as you made the connection, you must have been telling vision to turn on a bunch of lights, so it did it all at once. Vision will crash to desktop to save your GPU. Unlike video games, or something we can predict GPU load, we don't have any idea how many lights the user will turn on at once, so to save the GPU from overheating and well...melting, we crash out. 

Bring your lights to 0 and bring them up one at a time, and see if they respond. If you are crashing when just bringing up a normal amount of lights, you're probably running into a GPU limitation - our minimum is a GTX 580 or equivalent benchmark. More info here: 

Also, make sure you're not sending over any needlessly complex geometry. Vision is essentially running something between a fast and final quality renderworks 60 times per second, so avoid things like truss symbols (which model nuts and bolts for some reason), large amounts of soft goods (smooth = more polygons = more GPU load), and stage tool stages with the support posts rendered (you can't see them anyway). All of this is subjective, and I just trim what I need to depending on the show and my hardware. 

I'm trying to evaluate Vision and cannot seem to be able to get vision to see the output from my ETC EOS console. I've got no problems with the same setup outputing to Capture Atlas, but no joy with Vision. I'm running Vision on a MacBook Pro Retina with a video card. Any advice?

Hey Simon!

Chances are likely that your patch is off. Make sure you adjust the edit Vision data mapping in Vectorworks via: File>Document Settings>Spotlight Preferences>Edit Vision Data Mapping. Vision uses a two-part addressing system using "Universe" and "Channel" as the two parts change the drop downs on the right to align with the Object info palette fields you prefer - i.e. Universe and Address, or Universe and Dimmer.

Sorry for the delay, I was out last week moving! If that doesn't fix it for you or you have any other questions, shoot us an email over at tech@vectorworks.net and we'd be happy to help.