Importing CAD Survey

benboggs

Question

I am encountering an issue while importing a CAD survey.  The survey is of a 100 acre site (has several existing buildings, lots of topo, spots, and information.  The CAD file is only 10mbs.  When trying to import the survey as a reference - the import process locks up at 97% after all entities have been converted.  It just sits there for 30 mins doing nothing.  BUT - when I hit cancel/or attempt to close the program (since it has locked up and says not responding)- the import survey function finishes, the survey imports - however since I hit cancel the imported survey disappears.  Any thoughts as to why this would happen?  I unfortunately cannot share the CAD file on here of the survey.  But if needed I can send to tech for review.  

After many attempts of the survey did finally import (but I had to hit cancel/close the program) and luckily it didn't disappear.  But it is not a reference - just a straight import.  See attached screen shot of survey.    

Thanks!!

Ben     

Survey.JPG

3 answers to this question

Hi, The method I use with Surveys is to have a "Shuttle file". A separate VW drawing of the survey. that is xrefed into the main drawing on a Class called Shuttle survey.. This way I don't have all the surveyors classes in my drawing and i can turn off the survey easily and the file size stays small.

So import a CAD survey into a VW dwg. turn off and or change some of the colours. Then in the new VW drawing create the xref for the survey by going new viewport and select new design layer of place it on your site layer and select source and navigate to your new VW survey.
So then I am drawing on a clean drawing with the survey as a viewport. Nothing is sluggish. you can double click the survey viewport and you go into the survey dwg and edit save and close when complete.

HTH (you prob knew most of this but thought I would go through the process just in case.)

• Like 2