VW2017 - OpenGL render not working in SL viewports which view DLVPs

digitalcarbon

Question

This is a problem which has arisen in a file converted from a 2016 version and opened in 2017.

I have a design layer, on which I have some Design Layer Viewports. These DLVP are section viewports generated from the clip cube.

Then I have a sheet layer. On this layer, I have Sheet Layer Viewports which are perspective views of those DLVPs on the design layer. This is how I generate 3D sliced sections through the model.

Those SLVPs are set with Background Render = Open GL and Foreground Render = None.

In VW2016 this works fine.

But imported into VW2017, those SLVPs are empty. The geometry is there because if I change Background Render to wireframe, it shows up as expected. Setting it back to OpenGL, everything disappears again.

I've tried generating the sections and viewports afresh, but the same still happens.

Elsewhere I have SLVPs that are direct 3d views of the model (ie. no intermediate DLVP stage) but these are fine if I render them in OpenGL. So the problem seems to be something related to the SLVP viewing DLVP viewing model setup.

I'm not sure whether this might be related to the problem described in this thread:

Why has this OpenGL problem not been solved? Because OpenGL does not work inside groups and other editing windows (like Symbols) you cannot do texture mapping in VW. The Attributes tool does not work because the OpenGL image disappears. You can work with Fast Renderworks, but that is, ironically, slow. I usually use Strata3D for my rendering and it used to be the buggy software. Now it's VW that is a problem. It is NOT a rendering program if you can't see what you are doing. Furthermore, you cannot select objects when they are rendered...assuming you get OpenGL to work in the handful of situations where it does work.

This must be fixed before I continue the subscription. This has been happening for a couple of years now. When will it be fixed?

MHBrown

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

Why has this OpenGL problem not been solved? Because OpenGL does not work inside groups and other editing windows (like Symbols) you cannot do texture mapping in VW

I use OpenGL in Groups and Symbols all the time and it works well. The only time that OpenGL will not work is when you are editing from a sheet layer. 

Mark, I'm glad it works for you in those windows, but it does not work for me. Regardless, OpenGL should work when editing from a sheet layer. It should always work everywhere. Anything less is unacceptable. Right not, some combination of VW, my video card, or something is causing OpenGL to fail. It is NOT my individual file. It happens everywhere. It may have to do with files created in VW2016 or VW2017, but it is very, very, very, very, very common to start a job in one version of VW and finish it in another. This minimal compatibility should be top of the list for future versions, but apparently it is not. I think that is the problem and it needs to be fixed if VW is going to continue its absurd release frequency of once a year---twice what it should be, in my opinion, to ensure a stable product.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

Mark, I'm glad it works for you in those windows, but it does not work for me.

17 hours ago, markdd said:

I use OpenGL in Groups and Symbols all the time and it works well. The only time that OpenGL will not work is when you are editing from a sheet layer. 

It had been working but I have now seen this problem even in my own files, restart doesn't always correct it either, sometimes i need to edit a symbol on the design layer before i can edit in the resource manager again, or a group within a symbol. I will be reconfirming and resubmitting this one if there isn't already an active bug on it for sp2.

(This was different from the original post topic but just thought it merited mentioning)

The problem seems to be with working in 2018 with files created in a previous version. This is an unforgivable oversight. I would wager that--especially with the accelerated, yearly upgrades--that nearly 100 percent of VectorWorks users start in one version and complete in another. My work around is to have an Untitled 2018 file open next to my real file. I copy and past anything I need to work on into that file and then copy and paste back. OpenGL works great in the Untitled file. This, however, is not an acceptable workflow step. Is this fixed in version 2019?

• Like 1

I don't know if VW get's it, but they need to slow down on the annual release features that simply make the latest version UNUSABLE.

To top it off they actually advertised that this release as follows and I quote "Dr. Sarkar said this year when they approached the development of version 2019 they divided 90 tasks into three major categories. These three categories were simplifying workflows, enhancing modeling, and lastly, enhancing quality and performance."

Pretty hard to do when the software barely works, Rant over!

• Like 2