VW 10.1.2 crash assigning lines to new class

I just created a new class in a document, and attempted to assign it to a group of lines by entering the group, selecting all the lines, and changing the class assignement in the Object Info Palette. This causes the program to crash, invariably. I can select one line, and assign it to the new class. If I select more than one object (e.g., 2 lines), the program crashes. If I assign the group of lines to class other than the new one, no problem.

Ungrouping the lines and attempting the assignment to the new class also causes a crash (BTW, this is a multiple window runtime error crash, in other words, I have to click on a runtime error message at least three times, sometimes many more, before the program quits).

This looks like a bug. Is NNA aware of this, and are there any work-arounds? I am sending a file and a copy of this post to bugsubmit.

VWA 10.1.2

WinXP

P4 2.2G

1MB RAM

[ 08-24-2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the file. If you delete that class and recreate it I think that will solve your problem.

My best guess is that you created this class while you had a very large number of objects involved in a polygon-based rendering. This set of circumstances (which appear to no longer be in place in the file that you sent to us) happened to give your new class a very high number for it?s ?internal ID?, and that exposed this object info palette bug.

We should be able to fix this problem in a future release. Thank again for the report.

Best regards,

Mark Farnan

Core Technologies and Imaging Manager

Nemetschek NA

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

I just created a new class in a document, and attempted to assign it to a group of lines by entering the group, selecting all the lines, and changing the class assignement in the Object Info Palette. This causes the program to crash, invariably. I can select one line, and assign it to the new class. If I select more than one object (e.g., 2 lines), the program crashes. If I assign the group of lines to class other than the new one, no problem.

Ungrouping the lines and attempting the assignment to the new class also causes a crash (BTW, this is a multiple window runtime error crash, in other words, I have to click on a runtime error message at least three times, sometimes many more, before the program quits).

This looks like a bug. Is NNA aware of this, and are there any work-arounds? I am sending a file and a copy of this post to bugsubmit.

VWA 10.1.2

WinXP

P4 2.2G

1MB RAM

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Are you working in a large file when you change the class of several objects and see a crash? Most of the time, this will work, but for certain classes in large files, it will crash, and you will need to modify one object at a time. Also what kind of object did you make that was assigned to the None class instead of the active class?