Kevin McAllister

Renaming Viewports - Is this really not possible from the Navigation Palette?

Question

Is it really not possible to rename a SLVP from the Viewports tab of the Navigation Palette? I right click and choose edit but there's no field for the name of the viewport. I can edit the name of the drawing associated with the viewport. It seems like the only way to rename a SLVP is to select the viewport individually and rename it in the OIP. Am I missing something?

Kevin

• Like 2

I'm trying out this script but I get VS errors?  I copied and pasted the script but when I run it I get 

Capture.JPG

Hi Grant

I know it works.  I use it almost every day.

Are you really using 2017 or are you on 2018?  (probably doesn't matter in this case - just tested it on 2017 and it still works).  Make sure you have Vectorscript selected when you paste the script and not Python.

Also make sure you are copying all of the script.  If you miss the final semicolon it won't run.

🙂. I was pretty sure you would be on 2018.

If you take the script from the attached 2017 file does it work for you in 2018?

Hello,

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in the properties palette there is a small name slot in the bottom right corner if you select a viewport...

Best regards,

JB

57 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

It seems to work for some viewports and not for others.  Not sure why....

Not sure if MichaelK's script is the same, but mine will leave some untouched if there's a name conflict (eg. if there's already a viewport with the same name).

KM

Kevin

I used to have a problem with that.  If you had a page of viewports named Section and somehow 2 of them had the same drawing number.  Or if you had elevations and realized that you North South East and West mixed up and corrected them.  Problems would ensue.

I get around this by first naming every viewport as the current date and time, then renaming.  (Thanks, Pat!)

The only time I ever see an issue any more is when 2 viewports have the same drawing name and drawing number.

Grant, any chance that's what you're seeing?

I'd love to take a look at it if you don't mind sharing it with me.

mk

• Like 1

This file has 2 versions of the viewport rename script.  

Classic:  renames all the selected viewports

New & Improved:  Throws caution to the wind and renames ALL viewports in the drawing.  Go big or go home.

Viewport Rename Scripts.vwx

• Like 2