Link Hatch Surface to Text

t_and

Hello all!

As I hat really helpful tips from this forum I was wondering if you could help me with a doubt I got.

Is there anyway you can "link" the surface (m2) of a hatch, to a text? So if I have a hatch that covers 500m2, this 500m2 can appear directly in a text box.

What for? Im calculating surfaces of a project with colored surfaces, and as there are many changes during the days, its really annoying to adapt the colored hatchs to the need shapes and recheck the surface and then change the resume text.

Thank you very much!

I am not sure I understand extactly what you are after.  Can you send a screenshot?

These surfaces - are they all plainer?  If so - you could use the space tool - which has all the 2D attributes of a polygon - but it has a linked data tag that will display the size square meters.  Also with 2017 you can now style by record so you could set up a system where the hatch / color of these objects would change depending on the rules you set up - so anything <500 is green -  500 - 700 red etc.    

Somebody smarter than me would be able to set up a marionette tag that reads the size of the hatched surface to display it.  You would then have to link this tag to the surface by name - but that could be a real option if these surfaces are not plainer.

Edited by Tom Klaber
  • 1 year later...
On 9/27/2016 at 6:41 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Also with 2017 you can now style by record so you could set up a system where the hatch / color of these objects would change depending on the rules you set up - so anything <500 is green -  500 - 700 red etc.    

Hi Tom,

Was browsing through this topic, and this caught my eye. When you say "style by record" are you referring to a viewport's "data visualization" feature, or something I don't know about which would be more directly linked to a drawing object?

thanks,

Matt

On 1/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, mgries said:

Hi Tom,

Was browsing through this topic, and this caught my eye. When you say "style by record" are you referring to a viewport's "data visualization" feature, or something I don't know about which would be more directly linked to a drawing object?

thanks,

Matt

Yeah - I was referring to the data visualization.

• 11 months later...
On 9/27/2016 at 3:41 PM, Jim Wilson said:

Space objects can sort of do this by default, the Space Label can be configured to show the area of the space and nothing else, and you can apply whatever hatch fill you like to the space itself. Example space objects attached.

Spaces - Names and Gross Areas.vwx

Hi Jim,

I am a new Vectorworks user, and I saw your posting and would like to know more about this tool.

Current operating system: Windows, Vectorworks version: 2017, Landscape and in German. I tried enabling this tool but I could not find it where to even look for it.

Do you think you can make a few screenshots to help me out? Thanks!!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 minutes ago, D-VECT said:

Hi Jim,

I am a new Vectorworks user, and I saw your posting and would like to know more about this tool.

Current operating system: Windows, Vectorworks version: 2017, Landscape and in German. I tried enabling this tool but I could not find it where to even look for it.

Do you think you can make a few screenshots to help me out? Thanks!!

Best place to start is likely here:

Hi Jim, I was finally able to find this tool and added to my kit, but according to my colleagues who has long 6 years expereience for vectorworks,

she said this tool is not very realiable. Does it also occur to you ? Or if there is any setting we need to pay attention to? Thanks in advance!