Structural Member - 2d & 3d not the same!

RussU

Question

Big problem with the structural member tool...

I chose a rectangular section, RHS 80x120x5 and make a "ring" of them... Have the reference set to centre right or centre left, as suits...

That is all

Then go from a 2d "top/plan" to a 3d "top" view, and the member jumps from one side of the line to the other.... see the attached shots!

Absolute nightmare, as I planned out a huge steel beam raft layout using the suto snaps etc.... then looked at an isometric and nothing lined up!!!

please help! :)

2d.jpg

3d.jpg

5 answers to this question

I guess this is common to both mac and PC?

Is it policy to wait for a service pack, or do you guys ever release hot-fixes just for certain issues?

I must admit, like many we've been waiting all excited to get our hands on these lovely new super tools, but instead it's been a bit like getting socks as a christmas present.... (in the nicest possible way!)

Also, just one last quick question. In the "Wide-Flange-3D" tool, we have all the BSI columns, beams and piles etc... but in the structural member tool, we only have the beams. Is there a way (perhaps by using default folders) where I can copy the shapes included in the wide flange tool into the structural memebers tool, to make a more complete step?

Thanks again.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes appears the same issue on both sides, direct bug with the plugin itself. We have done hotfixes in the past for emergencies (crashes, loss of data) but I couldn't tell you which way this would be handled until I get feedback on the report. 

15 minutes ago, RussU said:

Also, just one last quick question. In the "Wide-Flange-3D" tool, we have all the BSI columns, beams and piles etc... but in the structural member tool, we only have the beams. Is there a way (perhaps by using default folders) where I can copy the shapes included in the wide flange tool into the structural memebers tool, to make a more complete step?

Not sure, @Matt Panzermay be able to tell you more.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
23 hours ago, RussU said:

I see no way for users to add additional shapes. The Structural Member's Steel Shape dialog looks identical to that of the Framing Member object. Since the Structural Member is intended to be used in other configurations (i.e.: columns), it should have access to those additional shapes. I'll enter a bug report for this...

Bug reported:

VB-136974: Structural Member: Steel shape choices need to include all available shapes currently available in Steel Shape detailing objects.

Edited by Matt Panzer
  • Like 1