Workflow for point clouds

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Normally you would import the point cloud and use it as a reference for drawing 3D solids, walls, etc. They are most commonly used as a system of guides for recreating geometry, or added to an existing model to place it in it's environment visually depending on the type of point cloud available.

In 2016 version we weren't able to isolate any points, which made it a bit cumbersome to do. What i did was I created a design layer viewport from another layer and simply overlayed that section / level from the data. Normally it would be easy on a building with a single level, however, the building that I am building the plans for has 3 buildings and 5 or 6 split levels per section, so isolating different sections of the building and differently levels was a little harder. I was just wondering in the future if it would be possible to extract certain parts of the mesh cloud into points, that way it would much easier to model a very complex geometry, like a curved/vaulted ceiling inside a historic theater.