Flat Roofs, Steel Pan & Parapets

Jim Smith

I seem to be having trouble with using a Flat Roof Assembly with the Steel Pan extending through the Parapet wall. The pan does extend into the wall to bear on the beam but the Parapet covers the Steel Pan, even when I put the Roof Layer "above" the Main floor Layer in the stacking order. I've attempted to make the Steel Pan visible by reducing the height of the Wall to TOP OF STEEL and adding a Parapet Wall to the Roof Layer - still no joy. I can always resort to Graphics in the Annotation Layer, but not very good technique. Is there a more elegant solution?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jim,

While it looks like you found a way to work around the issue, I'd like to better understand what you're after. Would it be possible for you to post a simple file showing what your were doing (that you could not get what you needed) and what you wound up doing to work around it?

Thanks Matt. Upon reflection, when the building is constructed, there is actually a Parapet wall built on the top of the Roof Pan. So this is technically correct. The thing I find odd is this: Regardless of the stacking of the Roof Layer, the Roof elements were not "Hiding" the wall on the Main Floor Layer. Once the Parapet Wall was drawn on the same Layer as the Roof element, BINGO! the Roof works in hiding the Parapet wall. 

Not sure if this is a result of a 2016 file that had been Batch converted from 2015 and has 2015 elements that have been imported into the file or just a small thing in the programme.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Jim,

A couple of things...

First, I often end up with  a wall cap of some sort so I can get the graphics correct on a Roof Plan.

I believe the Slab Tool can accomadate what you're trying to do in the first image (offsets of components)

And for the lower illustration, 2017 has the ability to create different offsets PER EDGE OF ROOF & PER COMPONENT so that might be a reason to look to upgrading.

Wes

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 12.56.25 PM.png

Thanks Wes, this sounds like just the ticket!

Perhaps I should have created the Roof Assembly as a Slab rather than a Low Slope Open Web Steel Joists Metal Deck Roof Style.

Having watched your Webinar last week, I could have used the VW2017 low slope technique a couple of months back!

I've installed VW2017, but due to deadlines on this project I'm waiting until after we go for Building Permit before I explore 2017. 

Guest Wes Gardner

Jim,

I hear you on deadlines...yeah, give the "Slab Drainage Tool" in conjunction with the enhancements to the slab a try...it is very cool and very stable...the Engineering Team deserves a big shout out on this one...

Wes