been working with sheets for the past 16hrs

my bad mood keeps getting worse.  the reality is that vectorworks (i am assuming its true with other software) cannot really handle well viewports made from the model.  that is why it relies heavily on top/plan hybrid junk.  just think of how slimmed down vectorworks could be if all the sheets and sheet tools were stripped out of it and we just conveyed information by means of a model.

• Like 1

Some design software company (cough cough) wanting to distinguish itself from the pack and push the construction envelope, needs to sponsor a test project:   Start on a small residential project and involve only one sub who normally relies heavily on prints, eg the the foundation crew or the framer. But ultimately test a bigger commercial or multi use project. No paper sheets allowed - starting with precon all the way to permit sign off.

Load the model into some kind of viewers available on/off site to all the consultants, sub contractors, inspectors, all. Tablets? Laptops? Head sets (finally, a ligitimate use for GoogleGlass)?   Model should have all of DM's innovations. Viewer hardware and software needs stable navigation, measure, and annotation.

There must already be many sponsored projects out there used as test platforms for goods and equipment. A BIM project would test the design process, the model, the on site software and viewer equipment, effects of weather, build quality, trade worker response to new process, safety, efficiency/cost, all sorts of things.

I know, in my dreams.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

One very important part that is not being addressed in this 'pie-in-the-sky' thread — is that most local building departments still require printed 2D drawings for building permit applications. Most of them also still require the drawing sheets to be wet-stamped and wet-signed, so they won't even accept PDFs.

At least this has been my personal experience here in California; It will be a long time before the local authorities and contractors will buy into a totally digital project delivery workflow for architectural / building construction projects. 

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

P Retondo, there is a massive bug in the section cut for 2017 that is not allowing me to have an OpenGL section cut.  this is what i was banging my head against in trying to get the sheets done.  

rDesign,  the solution to the hard copy for city officials is to produce just enough sheets and stamp them to make them happy but everyone else builds off the model.  

somewhere someone is doing it. please see:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfYJYymZLuS2orahu-0UneA