Symbol merge in the resource browser instead of replace symbol

Art V

Question

When importing dwg files sometimes symbols duplicate and you get e.g. valve, valve-2, valve-3 etc. even though they are actually the same symbol "valve".

It would be nice if instead of having to use the replace symbol for each instance there could be some functionality where you could use the resource browser to select the duplicates and "merge" multiple instances of the same symbol into a single symbol (e.g. "valve" in the example above) and it will automatically replace the duplicates with the "master symbol".

It could even be used to replace an incorrect variant of a symbol with the correct one instead of just identical variants of a symbol.

4 answers to this question

Thanks for mentioning the multiple delete to replace them all at with a single instance of the copies to be deleted, just tried and it worked like a charm.

It also works with "merging" duplicate line types, and probably with most resources.

I guess most people do not think of this or simply don't know it can also be done, because this wish has been brought up in the past and I don't recall anyone mentioning this.

Normally I use the purge tool to remove non-used etc. after replace duplicate symbols with the replace symbol command.

Edited by Art V

Sometimes, when we get plans from consultants or libraries from manufacturers, there are hundreds of seemingly identical symbols. But are they really identical? Nobody dares to touch them, so we carry them with us until the project is finished.

So here is the real high end feature of "Merge Symbols": Check if the contents of symbols is identical, and then merge them, regardless of name.