• Announcements

• JimW

How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
Kevin McAllister

Palette Docking 3.0 Wishes

Question

I would be interested in some of the following wishes for Palette Docking 3.0 -

- the ability to dock the Resource Manager as a tab like tabbed documents (tabbed documents is one of my favourite additions to VW2017)

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 8.58.39 AM.png

- the ability to dock palettes next to each other above the mode bar/drawing window so the palettes can have a user controlled width. Right now anything you dock there automatically stretches to full width

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 9.01.20 AM.png

- the ability to hide/show a dock area by clicking on the 3 dot divider (much like you can hide interface items in C4D)

- more control over what the Snapping Palette does when you dock it so you can maintain its layout and orientation (why isn't the Snapping Palette a regular tool palette?)

- a fix so a docking column can be sized to the width of the Snapping Palette (there's either a gap or it reflows into a single column of icons).

- the ability to dock script palettes

- the ability to open a worksheet as a tab like tabbed document and to have it open along with a document each time its opened.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

7 answers to this question

A well formed version of horizontal docking is desperately needed please.

Here's what it does now -

59b97e86883d1_ScreenShot2017-09-12at12_52_25PM.png.ba300255028b26de3fc2c219ea036b7a.png

Not great.

This is my current workaround - a floating horizontal palette -

59b97e8388654_ScreenShot2017-09-12at12_53_08PM.png.429571883e567dd05875420aa9a9c653.png

But you can see it doesn't play well with the new Multiple View Panes in VW2018.

It needs to be something more like this, where it respects how I set the icon layout but fits in at the top and relates to the document window, not the full width across the side palettes -

59b97e794cd71_TopPaletteDocking.png.ba77ae32b7ee9a721d3a22efe18f5085.png

The Attributes Palette and the Snapping Palette also need some attention. They do the basics of docking but not in any intelligent way.

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

11 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Same here .... at the bottom ....

Screenshot-UI.jpg.3eca97e25d9162aaff1c9f6768e4cb4c.jpg

I used to have mine across the bottom years ago. I ended up moving them to the top so most of my mouse moves were up - both for tools and for menus.

KM

Gravity forces me to see the upper part of the monitor as a place more tedious to reach,

like things hidden in Text Menus. So this is reserved for things I don't use that often.

But nice to see that you do the same effort in sorting icons and division of manipulation vs creation

tools as I do.